iPhone 4S and iOS5 over the Air Updates Question

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Wicked1, Nov 4, 2011.

1. Wicked1 macrumors 68040

Wicked1

Not sure if anyone can answer since there are not updates yet, however does anyone know if you are forced to receive over the Air Updates, as I would prefer to deny and wait until the updates have been out for a while.

I am assuming Apple might force them down...:rolleyes:

2. Kyotoma macrumors 68000

Kyotoma

You assumed wrong.:rolleyes: They are optional. You might receive a notification that they are available, but you control when it is downloaded and installed.

3. Wicked1 thread starter macrumors 68040

Wicked1

Where is that information posted, I never heard anyone speak of how the updates will be sent to us, other than you no longer have to connect to a Mac or PC to get them?

4. Kyotoma macrumors 68000

Kyotoma

Not sure if this officially posted. This is merely my experience with OTA updates with all of the iOS 5.0 betas within the dev program.

Go to Settings>General>Software Update. If there is an update available, it will show up there with an option to download and install. After selecting this(again, you don't have to), it will notify you again when the download is complete and then prompt you to either install now or later. Selecting later gives you the notification badge icon over the settings.app until you update.

5. Vegasryn macrumors 6502

The way it worked for the betas (I'm a part-time dev) a pop up would appear on screen stating that an update was available - you could hit download or cancel. You can always go to General ---> software update to initiate it at any time