iPhone 4S and snowboarding

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by sportsfanMAW, Nov 6, 2011.

1. sportsfanMAW macrumors regular

Hi all, I'm wondering if anybody out there has a good solution for snowboarding with the 4S. I currently have the giro tuneups that allow me to turn the volume up and down but that's about it, I can't answer calls (although I can hang up using the button) or activate siri. I was wondering if anybody had found a good solution to be able to activate and use siri on the slopes? I find that would be really helpful to be able to have siri read me text messages or change the music for me. Hope this made sense!

Thanks!

2. ericrwalker macrumors 68030

ericrwalker

Hmmm I am subscribing to this thread...since I will be getting my 4S soon.

Funny thing is my phone is always naked, except when I am skiing. I would like to know how to use siri on the slopes.

3. Meltdownblitz macrumors 65816

I would like to know this as well for my 4S when I snowboard. I currently use my phone naked.

4. cfairbank macrumors 6502

I have always boarded with my iPhones. I too had the giro tune ups but did not like them. I usually put my iphine in an otterbox defender and I now have switched to the defender. I also have found that I like using my Bose iem2 on the mountain. I can play, pause, skip, adjust volume, and answer calls all whole riding. Takes a little getting used to with gloves but after a few runs you will be fine.

5. Meltdownblitz macrumors 65816

I once used my defender last time I boarded and phone got wet, total FAIL.

6. cfairbank macrumors 6502

Always kept iPhone in an internal pocket and never once had it get wet. I have switched to the survivor this time around and according to the specs it offers more water protection than the defender.

7. zman2100 macrumors regular

zman2100

Check out the Lifeproof case if you're worried about your phone getting messed up while on the slopes. It's water/snow proof, although I wasn't a huge fan of the screen cover on the case.

8. sportsfanMAW thread starter macrumors regular

Sorry if I wasn't clear. I'm not looking for a case for my phone. I want a some sort of helmet headphones (wired or bluetooth) that allows me to use siri without pulling the phone out of my pocket.

9. jburns macrumors regular

You must have awfully small feet. :eek::D

10. iz2sick macrumors 6502

iz2sick

Woot! Some fellow snowboarders here.

If you wear helmets while you shred, you have several options...

http://www.snowboards.net/helmet-audio-kits/c1000004203/

Even the stock iPhone earbuds work good enough if you're fine with those. Otherwise, find any other over the head headphones with the same functionality in the button.

I don't ride with music so I never have headphones on... the sound of my board on the snow is music enough for me haha.

I normally check my phone while on the lift. Brands like Burton sell touchscreen friendly glove liners so your fingers don't freeze while you take your gloves off to check the phone.

I'm probably going to get an Otterbox for my 4S while I ride this season. I never used anything for my 3GS before and never had problems, but I want to protect my precious 4S this time around lol.

11. ericrwalker macrumors 68030

ericrwalker

I thought your first post was clear, I just pointed out that I do use a case when I am skiing only. I pointed out that I use a case, because some phone adapters (usually BT ones) plug into the 30 pin connector (not an option for me)

12. cpjames macrumors newbie

LOL!... excellent :)

13. ericrwalker macrumors 68030

ericrwalker

That looks pretty cool. Siri work on it? Might need a cord with a button to control siri in between this and the phone.

14. cfairbank macrumors 6502

Same hear, I was just explaining how I use my iPhone when boarding and what works for me.

15. rknelissen macrumors newbie

Wear the Touchscreen gloves. So you don't have to pull of your gloves when you are snowboarding and you want to answer your phone or send a text.

16. Digidesign macrumors 6502

Yeah, unfortunately, as you discovered it looks like different bluetooth headsets have varying levels of support for Siri.

I use the Sony MW-600. If I hit the call button, Siri comes on. It's a small module that you could pin to the inside of your jacket by your neck so I think it would work well for snowsports.

17. sportsfanMAW thread starter macrumors regular

This looks awesome. I'm curious, do the headphones come out so I could plug a standard aux cord into it? The reason I ask is I would love to be able to hook up an aux cord to it and plug that into the speakers I have in my helmet! Also is the mic on the clip?

18. Digidesign macrumors 6502

Yep! You can unplug the headphones that come with it and connect your own so I believe you could use your helmet speakers as long as it ends in a standard headphone jack (same size as what fits in the iPhone).

It's right above the call button on the front face. I'm not sure if you plug in headphones with a microphone on it (like the apple headset) if it would switch to use the microphone on the headphones instead of the built-in mic. Probably not since it's Sony. :mad:

19. sportsfanMAW thread starter macrumors regular

no that's perfect, I want to make sure it has a mic so I can talk to Siri, my helmet doesn't have a mic.

Thanks!