iPhone 4S - Anybody Having 2nd Thoughts?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Mumty, Oct 4, 2011.

1. Mumty macrumors newbie

I think when the 4S was announced today, we all instantly drew it off simply because there was no new design. And I was the first ome to critisize Apple for releasing a 4S

But now I'm having 2nd thoughts. Reading on their website, it now looks to me like the coolest phone ever. New specs, A5, 8mp camera, Siri! All this combined with iCloud and iOS 5 sound like a winning combination!

So I admit that I judged the 4S too quickly - its an amazing bit of technoligy, and even though I have the 4, Im really considering getting it.
    What about you, do you think you judged it too quick also? Anyone having 2nd thoughts?

2. apmorency macrumors regular

Finally drank the koolaide? :D

It's not the unicorn and rainbows everyone was hoping for, It's just a minor update and that's the biggest problem with it. It isn't great news for anyone with an i4 though.

3. destroyboredom macrumors 6502

I would disagree with the notion of it being a "minor update". We knew 4G wasn't going to be included, and a larger screen was a toss up. I can understand these 2 being deal breakers for some, but to call it a minor update is foolish.

4. Dangerous Theory macrumors 68000

I don't know, I was actually the opposite to start with but I'm slowly starting to think that it cannot possibly be worth £500+ for such a similar phone. I'd rather have an iPad 2 for that price and keep my iP4.

5. jplusc macrumors 6502a

The way I look at it is, between my ATV2, iPad 2 and iPhone 4 I am locked into the Apple eco-system. I am upgrade eligible on ATT on 11/18. If I don't use my upgrade my ATT bill does not go down so I should take advantage of it. I can sell the iPhone 4 to offset the costs anyhow. So I figure why not.

6. darster Suspended

Not worth spending my money on a "new" iphone 4 that is only microseconds faster with a 8 MP "cell phone" camera. Major fail.

7. haticK macrumors 6502a

haticK

Don't know why anyone is surprised, Apple does this every year. Tons of rumors pointing to huge updates and they never end up being true. Apple purposely adds small updates every year so there is always something significant to add the year after.

8. DeusInvictus7 macrumors 68020

Agreed, the internal upgrades are actually bigger this time around than any other iPhone in the past.

I wouldn't call it a major fail. Most people don't upgrade their phones every year, and Apple knows this. Sure if you have a 4 already then it might not be worth it to upgrade, but for people that don't have an iPhone or have an old one, then it's a pretty big boost.

9. boch82 macrumors 6502

You dont always need the latest and greatest. I am still on the 3GS. It has met my needs for the past 2+ years. And I found no good reason to go to the 4.

At this point I think I will upgrade to the 4s. The 3GS has been used a ton and the battery is showing it's age.

The multiple carrier support is huge for me. I have been stuck with att because of travel needs for work. I'm excited to go back to Verizon or maybe sprint as the coverage and service is much better in NYC.

10. bigpoppamac31 macrumors 68000

It is an amazing phone no doubt. But it also is a bit of a let down as it took longer to release this one plus it's Tim Cook's first rodeo post Steve Jobs. We all expected more and Apple should have delivered but in a lot of ways didn't. Now I don't know if I should wait until next year for the "5" or get the "4S" to upgrade from my aging iPhone 3G.

11. DeusInvictus7 macrumors 68020

Yeah I think the reason for so much of the disappointment was the fact that it took longer to release than normal. If it was back in June I think a lot less people would have a problem with it. Except the people who really wanted a larger screen. (I was hoping for a 4")

12. ChrisSD macrumors member

Not worth it, if you have an iPhone 4. Siri will be there on the iPhone 5, and the performance on the 4 is perfectly fine. I'm waiting. Siri and a better camera isn't worth it.

13. Mr.C macrumors 601

I disagree with all those who say it's not worth it if you already have an iPhone 4. IMO the faster CPU, GPU, better camera, Siri and 64GB of storage ( I plan on getting the 64GB model ) is totally worth it. Not to mention it's likely to have 1GB of RAM and will probably run iOS 5 better then the iPhone 4. I don't particularly care for a bigger screen and 4G/LTE is not supported here in the UK as far as I'm aware. I was hoping the prices for unlocked models was lower and the 64GB cost £599 instead of £699.

14. natasha69 macrumors 6502

i'd agree w/you. the chassis might be the same, but the performance will be noticeable. esp on the ATT network, the HSPA+ speeds should be noticeable.

its like test driving an E series Mercedes. they didn't change the body style, but instead of the 350, you'd now be driving the 550. we all hoped for the AMG version, but that will come later.

i'm just not sure what they could have announced today other than a new chassis? LTE is great - when you have signal. but other than that??

15. liquidsuns macrumors 6502

What happened was just about what I was expecting, so I am not at all disappointed. Though, I did think they'd update the iPod Touch to be like the 4S.

I'm not expecting the screen to ever get any bigger. Apple has tested every screen size imaginable and they think it's best how it is and no hacked together Droid device will scare them to change their mind.
    I also love the look and feel of the iPhone 4 so I'm cool with it looking the same. We can't really expect a new design every year just for the sake of a new design.
    Other then the screen, every aspect of the phone is vastly improved. It's just the 3gs all over again. And it's funny cause you'd think the forum nerds would get more jazzed over spec bumps and not care so much about the look of the device...but I guess not.

Oh and Siri looks freakin amazing. Yes, no one uses voice control right now...but that's because it sucks. Now it look like it won't.

Most of you have no vision or imagination at all.

16. Kaenon macrumors regular

I wasn't bummed about not having a new design because I really like the dual glass, front and back design.

However, I was bummed about:
    -A new iPhone release for Verizon only 7 months after the iPhone 4 release.
    -Not having a larger screen size (4.0" would have been acceptable), however, if they make an iPhone with a larger screen size, say 4.5 inches, won't it compete directly with the iPad...maybe?
    -No 4G LTE. There is great LTE service where I live with data speeds exceeding my home WiFi speeds by a little bit.
    -Bummed that Siri is exclusive only to the 4S...wish I had a rebate for my highly outdated Verizon iPhone 4, but only 7 months old.

Other than that, a new camera, improved GPS, A5 chipset, Siri, 64GB memory, 1 GB RAM are all obvious upgrades that would have been in an iPhone 5 remake anyhow.

17. eksplosions macrumors newbie

As someone who has yet to decide between the iPhone and Android for my next device (coming of a BB), I'm having second thoughts on getting an iPhone. I'm not the kind of person that updates a phone when a new one is released, I update when my contract expires. So, the 4S is a hard sell considering it's essentially a stop-gap between the 4 and almost-certainly redesigned 6. For a 2 year commitment, it's even more difficult. I suppose my contract is not lined up with Apple's upgrade cycle, but those with iPhone 4's are essentially on pace to get every new generation of iPhones if they don't splurge on the Ses.

That said, if I'm committing to 2 years, I want the best phone I can get in every respect, and given this release, it's more than likely that'll be the Prime. A larger screen is something I personally want and I'm in an LTE area. Releasing a non-4G phone at this point is essentially the same what Apple did with the original iPhone, something a lot of people criticized for good reason. It's not in a company's best interest to future-proof their phones (especially Apple!) but that doesn't mean I shouldn't pick that one that is.

My two pennies.

18. eemsTV macrumors member

eemsTV

I was a bit disappointed that it's just a 4S but I understanding the deal. Bigger screen would compromise the battery life. I'm gonna get this update, I'm coming from the DroidX so for a world phone that works in Tokyo. Plus my DroidX has a hard time with taking pictures and video, so I might just cruz over to the Apple Store and get this phone.

19. ravensfan55 macrumors 6502

For $200, nope. If you compare it with other phones out there at the price point it is lacking. $99 and you might of had me have second thoughts, but for $200 I'll sit on the sidelines for this round.

20. Duckit macrumors regular

Duckit

It is not a fail IMO.
    Of course its not a big update from the i4, but it is a big upgrde from the people who are still using the iPhone 3GS or lower. I will buy the 4S because this will be my first smartphone, so I don't have an i4 to compare it too.

21. Kentochan macrumors 6502

Kentochan

I actually felt like I had the opposite reaction to the iPhone 4S. At first, during the keynote, I was like "Well, I guess it's got a sick new camera, and Siri sounds so amazing! And the A5, I can game on the iPhone without lagging! Makes up for the larger screen and the tapered design I was hoping for!"

But as few hours passed by, I became more and more disappointed. "I'll be buying a new camera soon, so the new 8MP isn't a biggie. And Siri just seems like a gimmick used only on launch day, just to test it out (similar to what I felt about FaceTime). And the A5 really isn't necessary. I don't even play games on my iPhone, I have an Xbox 360 for that".

So now contemplating on what to do. I have an iPhone 3G that needs to be replaced, but I don't want to drop $200 + 24-month contract on a phone with so little change.