iPhone 4S Apple.com and AT&T.com price disparity?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Bartboy919, Oct 7, 2011.

1. Bartboy919 macrumors member

Bartboy919

Okay, I'll keep this short. I ordered a 4S through Apple.com, the final price for a black 16 GB 4S was $250, with $50 worth of taxes on the phone. Now, I live in CA, and know our sales tax isn't the lowest, but how the hell did it inflate to 25% of the price?

I went to att.com, and did an upgrade check on one of my other lines, and the page before checkout said the price was $218, with the $18 being a one time upgrade fee. Anyone know what the deal is with the difference?

2. bpeeps macrumors 68020

bpeeps

California taxes you on the full price for the phone, not the subsidized price. I paid $56 in taxes. CA as well.

3. Bartboy919 thread starter macrumors member

Bartboy919

.... That's pretty sneaky.... :(

4. JohnCalif macrumors member

5. Jatan macrumors newbie

Jatan

Apple is showing your price with CA tax (the upgrade or activation fee will show up on your monthly bill)

AT&T is showing the price and upgrade fee, but not the tax that they're going to add later on (theres probably a * with fine print somewhere on that page about the sales tax being calculated later)

6. TC25 macrumors 68020

Is someone keeping track of how many times this question has been asked and answered? If so, please do not include all the times it was asked when the iPhone4 came out. Thanks!