iPhone 4S AT&T off contract

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by arno23, Oct 30, 2011.

1. arno23 macrumors newbie

Hey guys,

I just came back home after getting my new iPhone 4S at the Apple retail store, I've bought the iPhone from AT&T without a contract at full retail price 649 + taxes. The person who sold it to me kept repeating it won't be unlocked be I bought it anyway ;)

Now back home I want to activate it but I don't want to take the risk of losing the unlock because I don't have a microsim other than the one from AT&T.

So my question is if I connect to iTunes with the AT&T microsim will I still get the iphone is unlocked message ?

Thanks in advance ! :D

2. AbyssImpact macrumors 6502a

Why do you gotta connect to Itunes? When I purchased my off contract iPhone 4s, I just removed the at&t sim card before turning it on and put in my t mobile sim. It is unlocked out of the box.

3. arno23 thread starter macrumors newbie

I know but I don"t have another microsim to test ...

4. AbyssImpact macrumors 6502a

If you bought it full price from Apple, it is unlocked. It is not unlocked if you got it from an AT&T store at full price.

5. arno23 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes I did buy it from Apple retail store, but I'd like to know if I activate now using the AT&T microsim will it keep its unlock when I later insert another microsim from another carrier ?

Appreciate your help ! :)

6. AbyssImpact macrumors 6502a

Yes you can activate it now using that microsim. It will say no service and it will be unlocked.