iPhone 4S back glass replacement at Apple Store?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by shstiger2009, Dec 3, 2011.

1. shstiger2009 macrumors 6502

Hello everyone,

I've been reading around the forums and from what I see, it's $29 to replace the back glass for the iPhone.

Anyway, I was bringing in the phone to Apple within the next week in hopes to get a new one because it loses connection A LOT and when I turn on the phone, it takes 1-2 minutes to find my network so I know it has issues. Well, about 2 hours ago, I dropped it and my back glass has one crack in it.

My question is this- Will they replace the glass for $29, and then trade me for mine since it's still under the 1 year warranty and it's an INTERNAL issue? Or will they say "Well, it's because you dropped it, so we can't do anything." I just feel they've been getting stricter on replacements since the AppleCare+ warranty came out.

My last question is- If they won't replace it, would it be best for me to replace it with one from iFixit or one of those sites and pay $50 ish, and then bring it to them and try to get it replaced because of the connection issue?

Thanks in advance!

2. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

If you take it in to Apple and have them replace the back for $29, of course they will assume you dropped it. They will not replace it for internal issues because of you dropping it in the first place, even if the drop occurred afterwards, so it voids the warranty, in turn it would be a $199 replacement for the whole unit.

3. shstiger2009 thread starter macrumors 6502

So even when Apple replaces the back glass, it voids the warranty?

4. TheNinjaJedi macrumors regular

TheNinjaJedi

If you dropped it... yes.

5. Phillyphil0302 macrumors member

Buy an oem back plate from applepartsstore, replace it yourself, then take it in for replacement. They'll never know;)

6. Mars478 macrumors 6502a

Mars478

Do it yourself. They will never know. I have replaced ENTIRE outer assemblies, taken the phone back for under warranty replacement and gotten a new phone. They don't check very hard. They check Water damage and if it has obvious external flaws they will take off the back and check it.

Do a good job and they won't notice.

7. tardman91 macrumors 6502a

tardman91

The serial numbers won't match, but I assume they probably just use the one in the settings. It's a lot easier to read.

8. shstiger2009 thread starter macrumors 6502

This is what I was going to do, thanks guys!

I was thinking the same thing, but I was looking at a thread here someone posted about buying an OEM back from apple parts store, and the numbers on the back of it matched mine exactly! So I don't think that'd be an issue.

Thanks again.

9. M Quick macrumors 6502

M Quick

For Your Information guys:

If your iPhone has ONE(1) crack on the back or front glass, and not several cracks, but only one(1), it goes under the warranty as it's a production fault, when phones are dropped you will in very very rare cases only get one crack, then you're lucky. But 99% of the other times one drops a phone you will have a really bad front or back that has many cracks in it.

Look at the warranty info on apples site about this, it will say that one crack is covered by warranty.

So you should be good to go, if it is only one crack (and no other damage) as you say.

10. shstiger2009 thread starter macrumors 6502

I can't find anything that says "crack" as I searched for it in the Warranty PDF file.

11. M Quick, Dec 4, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2011

M Quick macrumors 6502

M Quick

Crack might not be the correct word to find. I'll see if i find it for you.

Couldn't find the pdf i was looking for online, but i found the pdf on my computer which i saved before just in case i wouldn't find it online :)

Here's a screen from that specific pdf from apple.com

[​IMG]

12. shstiger2009 thread starter macrumors 6502

Right, I'm just hoping that didn't change with the AppleCare+ warranty that came out. Oh well, I think I may try to replace myself then try my luck in bringing it in. My aunt is a manager at my local Apple Store, so we'll see haha. Thanks.