Iphone 4s Backup Restore, Password Incorrect

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by pauly800, Oct 1, 2016.

1. pauly800 macrumors regular

I purchased an itouch many years ago. I recalled i set up an apple id so i could download from the apps store. However, i had put in a fake name and not my real one and not real address. I did not buy anything from the app store, just download free apps. Then later on i got an iphone 4s used but very good condition. I used it and downloaded free apps using the same apple id. The thing is my iphone 4s, if you go to my information, it has the fake name that i put in. Back then i did not want to put in my real name because i thought that wasn't safe etc.

Well anyways i got a new iphone SE and it ask for me to fill out all my details. I put in my real name, address etc. First off, do most people here all put their real address? I assume everyone puts their real name right? I assume almost everyone does for real address since if you buy something from app store, well it has to match? Anyways i put my real name and address on the new iphone SE. Then it ask me to either log into my apple id or create an apple id. I put a new apple id with new email address because i thought there might be an issue if i put the other apple id. True/false or not big deal?

Heres the other thing. I am going to reset my iphone4s due to it being very slow and because it has tons of battery issues. I bought 2 battery replacements that did not work at all. Thus i want to reset everything on this iphone to see if that could possibly fix the slowness on the iphone4s or possibly the battery though i don't believe the battery.

So i know to backup data on my iphone 4s to my itunes or icloud. I did it to itunes. I know i can reset it then back it up later on.

My question is this though. I'm pretty certain i could backup all my iphone4s information into an iphone SE. However if i do this, wouldn't there be an issue because it wouldn't show my real name? For example in the contacts tab, it has my fake name but all my contacts. So if i transfer everything to this SE, what will happen? I don't mind manually typing everything on my iphone SE though for this but does anyone know? As far as pictures, music, notes goes, i don't have that much stuff on my iphone 4s. Can someone here tell me about the apple id? Also is there a way to change my apple ID fake name to my real name? Also the email address associated with the iphone4s is not the same with the iphone SE. Could i just make the old iphone4s the new email? Obviously not change the new email to old email of iphone 4s right?

Thanks.

2. JayJohnPaul macrumors regular

JayJohnPaul

Just log in to your old Apple ID on your SE (the one with the fake name), you can always edit your name at any time, I have done it so many times. Head over to https://appleid.apple.com/ to edit your name. As for your address just use a valid one, it doesn't necessarily have to be your home address. I'm currently using my work address and my co-worker's credit card info, no issues whatsoever. Obviously, my name, my address and my credit card info don't match.

If you would like to transfer your contacts from iPhone to iPhone or to any other phone then I highly recommend you to check out "My Contacts Backup" on the App Store.

There shouldn't be any issues with the backup as long as you're using one Apple ID.

3. pauly800 thread starter macrumors regular

I have an iphone 4s that i have an apple id and password that i created a long time. It was not with my iphone device but another device a while back. I tried to log into icloud with my username and password but the issue is it ask me 2 security questions that i do not remember the answer to. But im sure i got 1 of them right.

I then click on forgot security answers. But the issue is they will send it to a phone number... which i saw the last few digits which is a phone number i don't use anymore. The other option is a code sent to my ipod. That ipod i don't have anymore

How do i reset my security questions or log into my icloud then?

4. pauly800 thread starter macrumors regular

i went to iforgotapple... but same issues...
    --- Post Merged, Oct 4, 2016 ---
    So i uploaded my iphone 4s back on my icloud. The thing is i can always access this if i have my apple id and my password right? The thing is i dont remember the answer to my 2 security questions and when i try to change it, i cannot. So only the 2 security questions are necessary if i forgot my password?

Thanks.

5. pauly800, Oct 4, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2016

pauly800 thread starter macrumors regular

I have an iphone 4s that i wanted to factory reset because its very slow. I backed it up to itunes. I am not 100 percent sure if i backed it up to icloud or not but i believe i did. The issue though is i used about 10gb total out of 16gb on the iphone 4s.

On the icloud backup, it only show 4.12gb free out of 5gb on icloud. Does that mean i did not backup my iphone 4s to my icloud? On my itunes previously, it did show i did back it up to icloud.

When i did the factory reset, i believe it worked. The issue is the message that shows up is restore from this backup... then shows my name backup. I do this and it ask me for my password. Is this my apple id password for itunes? I put that in and it did not work. Or was it a password for my iphone? I don't believe i have a password for my iphone so very confused here. Can someone tell me which password its asking for? I did change my itunes app store password very recently but i know both of these passwords and neither of these work. I do recall when i backed up my iphone 4s to itunes and possibly icloud, there was an option where its automatically checked for password and i left it on. Can someone tell me what my password should be? If its not the app store password, which one is it?
    Oh man i read online this isn't the same password as my apple id/icloud. If thats the case how in the world can i restore backup then? What in the world is that itunes password? Did i create one when i first got the iphone or something? The thing is this iphone 4s i bought used on ebay many years ago but excellent condition. I used it for few years already but issues with lagging/battery issues made me buy a new iphone SE. But i want to fix this iphone by factory restore to see if it fix lag/battery issues.

So that means i dont have this password and it was created by the original owner of this iphone?

Does that mean if i unchecked the thing near the backup, that meant i would not have needed this password? The thing is i needed to factory reset it asap so i left it the way it was.

Anyone know what i can do here?

6. pauly800 thread starter macrumors regular

Hey guys i posted this in the iphone help forum but haven't gotten a response back. I have to get this iphone 4s backup restored up tonight and looking to see if anyone here can help me.

I have an iphone 4s that i wanted to factory reset because its very slow. I backed it up to itunes. I am not 100 percent sure if i backed it up to icloud or not but i believe i did. The issue though is i used about 10gb total out of 16gb on the iphone 4s.

On the icloud backup, it only show 4.12gb free out of 5gb on icloud. Does that mean i did not backup my iphone 4s to my icloud? On my itunes previously, it did show i did back it up to icloud.

When i did the factory reset, i believe it worked. The issue is the message that shows up is restore from this backup... then shows my name backup. I do this and it ask me for my password. Is this my apple id password for itunes? I put that in and it did not work. Or was it a password for my iphone? I don't believe i have a password for my itunes so very confused here. Can someone tell me which password its asking for? I did change my itunes app store password very recently but i know both of these passwords and neither of these work. I do recall when i backed up my iphone 4s to itunes and possibly icloud, there was an option where its automatically checked for password and i left it on. Can someone tell me what my password should be? If its not the app store password, which one is it?

--- Post Merged, Today at 3:57 PM ---
    Oh man i read online this isn't the same password as my apple id/icloud. If thats the case how in the world can i restore backup then? What in the world is that itunes password? Did i create one when i first got the iphone or something? The thing is this iphone 4s i bought used on ebay many years ago but excellent condition. I used it for few years already but issues with lagging/battery issues made me buy a new iphone SE. But i want to fix this iphone by factory restore to see if it fix lag/battery issues.

So that means i dont have this password and it was created by the original owner of this iphone?

Does that mean if i unchecked the thing near the backup, that meant i would not have needed this password? The thing is i needed to factory reset it asap so i left it the way it was.

Anyone know what i can do here?
    Can i just backup my iphone from the icloud then? However if i do this, i have to set up my iphone first right? On the screen, it ask to choose language, etc.

7. Shirasaki macrumors 603

Shirasaki

That backup password is nothing but a password you set up when you backup. It can be your Apple ID password, or anything possible. By default Mac OS X will store it in keychain access so you will not worry much about forget it. But now you don't remember, and keychain does not have this oassword, you are not able to restore from this backup. I have a same such backup made about 5 months ago and I also forget the password. Given that I always use Apple ID to set password I tried multiple used one but out of luck. Eventually I deleted it.

8. pauly800 thread starter macrumors regular

Did i created set this password up recently? Or was it a while back? This iphone was not bought new. It was bought used but the person did do factory reset to wipe everything. So that means that I did put my own password for itunes?

There are only a few passwords that i use. None of those work here. That is not possible because i only used about 3 passwords for itunes that i can think of. Of course theres the passcode to lock and unlock the iphone and i tried those, it doesn't work.

So can i still back iphone from icloud? I know i backed icloud on my itunes but basically that is the same as itunes right as when i try to access that on itunes, it ask for my itunes password?

What about backing it up from my iphone? Is it possible to back up iphone to icloud without using itunes? Because i did this earlier but not sure it backed up everything? For example when i log into icloud.com with my apple id and password, i see my contacts. However i dont see any program with whatsapp and all those things. So basically i can still restore my contacts etc? I know i backed up whatsapp messages on icloud but was it possible for me to back up my iphone 4s just to icloud where only password i need to know is that one and NOT the itunes password which most ppl do not know?

9. Shirasaki macrumors 603

Shirasaki

I don't know when you have password set for your oldest backup. But if you set that password recently, at least Mac OS X should remember it.

Again that password is just for your encrypted iOS backup through iTunes.

You definitely can use iCloud to backup your iPhone but it may not include all data such as health data. Local iTunes backup is a better choice. Regarding apps, from iOS 9, backup no longer just load apps from iTunes library, but always download from App Store. If one of your previously used app is not in store, you need to install it through iTunes.

10. pauly800 thread starter macrumors regular

Im using windows computer at the moment, not a mac. I only have apple iphone 4s and the SE...

Im having a bit of an issue. Im trying to backup through cloud on my iphone 4s at the moment. then it ask for my apple id and my password. Im having issues logging in. Im however logged into my icloud account on the windows laptop. Is that the reason why i cant log in on my iphone because im logged into my cloud account online?

11. Shirasaki macrumors 603

Shirasaki

No. you can login into your Apple ID account on more than one device, including your computer. There must be an issue preventing you from login into your Apple ID on iPhone 4s. Btw, you can still make a local backup without using Apple ID.

12. wol macrumors regular

I recently had a similar problem when switching from iPhone 4 to SE. Somehow the file containing the backup pw must have gotten corrupted over the years (content of the file looked like XML gibberish to me :eek:).

The way out was to delete /private/var/Keychains/Keychain-2.db on the iPhone 4 (might only work if your iPhone has been jailbroken, and no idea if it works with any iOS more recent than version 7) - see http://www.iphonefaq.org/archives/972853