iPhone 4S battery and WiFi issues

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Jambalaya, May 8, 2014.

1. Jambalaya macrumors 6502a

I have a dying battery (Genius diagnostic confirmed) and WiFi problems with poor connectivity/no networks found/one instance of greyed out fixed via the hair-drier method as software reset/reinstall didn't fix it.

2 questions.

Is it possible the battery is causing the WiFi issues ? I'm hoping a DIY battery replacement will fix the WiFi or is that just too optimistic.

If I need a new WiFi chip can anyone recommend a UK (ideally London) place to get the work done (Genius confirmed Apple don't fix this)

Thanks

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Those 2 things are not connected.
    You might have a loose wifi antenna wire inside or chip going bad. Nothing to do with battery degrading.

3. Jambalaya thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks. I'll do the battery replacement and see if there is anything obviously loose although I suspect it won't be that obvious. The phone has been dropped a few times over its 20 month life but I think the greyed out instance makes me think its the chip

4. Jambalaya, Jun 30, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2014

Jambalaya thread starter macrumors 6502a

Update: Phone and Wifi working perfectly.

The WiFi on my phone died completely but I decided to replace the battery anyway (bits bought online DIY fix) and lo and behold the after the replacement the Wifi was perfect. I am pretty sure this must have been due to "something being loose" as suggested by AppleJuiced. I had dropped the phone a few times (no broken glass) and I wonder if a connection had become loose. And I do recall finding a loose screw. Anyway don't give up, you may get lucky as I did.

5. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

6. devinholdinn macrumors newbie