Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

getlan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 3, 2014
As much as many people will disagree with me I really don't like the design of the iPhone 6 nor 5s and 5. So I decided to get an iPhone 4S. But I wanted a storage that is larger than 8GB but it's almost impossible to find a factory unlocked sealed one in Canada. Anyway, I finally managed to find one in this mobile store who claims to have it shipped from the US (not Apple Store of course hence they don't sell iPhone 4S anymore) and it was sealed and everything. Based on my previous experience with many Apple products, it didn't look any different than any sealed phone you would buy from the Apple Store. Phone looks perfect but I noticed that the Apple stickers were missing in the box then I thought whatever. Later on I used this program called iBackupBot to check my cycle count because believe it or not it smelled a bit fishy after noticing the missing stickers. :D Then I got these results (attached down below), which for me proved that phone has actually been used before. Also in the usage settings I took a screenshot of the last full charge which made me think if the last usage of the phone was 48 days ago. Anyway I'd like to know what you guys think. Do you think it's used or refurbished? Do you think I should call back the place and try to return it? Thanks in advance. :)

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-11-04 at 2.27.52 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-11-04 at 2.27.52 AM.png
    80.5 KB · Views: 153
  • IMG_0033.PNG
    IMG_0033.PNG
    68.4 KB · Views: 98

Zxxv

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2011
UK
well its certainly not new. If they sold it you as brand new they lied.Upto you what you do.

getlan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 3, 2014
well its certainly not new. If they sold it you as brand new they lied.Upto you what you do.

Thanks for the reply. Yes, they said it's brand new "never used" which really pisses me off. I now also noticed the earphones that come inside the box are pretty much fake ones. So, yeah I will probably return the iPhone. They also gave me a warranty for 6 months so I'm guessing they'll refund. But I have no clue what to do if they refuse to take it back. Guess I'm way too late to get a clean iPhone 4S. :)

Zxxv

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2011
UK
Thanks for the reply. Yes, they said it's brand new "never used" which really pisses me off. I now also noticed the earphones that come inside the box are pretty much fake ones. So, yeah I will probably return the iPhone. They also gave me a warranty for 6 months so I'm guessing they'll refund. But I have no clue what to do if they refuse to take it back. Guess I'm way too late to get a clean iPhone 4S. :)

have you no laws? in UK we have laws against that sort of con. Good luck

getlan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 3, 2014
have you no laws? in UK we have laws against that sort of con. Good luck

Yes, we do have laws but in the receipt, you can't actually find a text where it indicates that it's "brand new". So I don't know if it will be sufficient to only show the proof and the ad they posted online. It's the first time I encounter something like this as you can tell. :)

Zxxv

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2011
UK
You have to take into account the seller didn't know. Maybe he got scammed too? be nice, explain the situation. He may be as angry as you are. Start polite and nice always. :)

getlan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 3, 2014
You have to take into account the seller didn't know. Maybe he got scammed too? be nice, explain the situation. He may be as angry as you are. Start polite and nice always. :)

Yeah, you're right. There's a slight chance that it might be possible. But something tells me I'm the only one who got scammed for some reason. Even if my feelings are right, they're not going to respond me like "yea, it was a used iPhone we scammed you big time. Here's your money". Instead, they'll blame it on the guy/company or whoever that is that they got it from. Anyway, thanks a lot again. I'll take my chances. :)

Zxxv

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2011
UK
Always trust your instincts. They're there for a reason. With what you feel it maybe better to just go in and say this phone isn't brand new like advertised. I would like a refund please. If they kick off I'd report them rather than argue. But i'd tell them so they have a chance to avoid it. Thats probably the way i'd tackle it.

Good luck :)

mreg376

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
And then get a 5s. They're still sold new, and I'm not sure what you like about a 4s that makes you dislike the 5s, which is basically just slightly taller, and faster. What's not to like?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.