Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pauly800

Suspended
Original poster
Dec 7, 2014
I bought an iphone 4s on ebay last year used. Condition of it was very good condition. The seller had used the iphone for 3 years i believe but condition when received was great. Battery was very good as well. Not long ago I noticed the battery of the iphone 4s seem to be a lot less than normal.

First off, is there a way to confirm this? I check online and read if you go to diagnostics, you would find low battery low in the data. So that would be true?

How much does replacing the battery for the iphone 4s would cost around? I know i cannot replace it myself as i cannot open an iphone.

invisibleshoes

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2014
Not sure about the diagnostics but you should really consider replacing the battery yourself. I did it myself without the help of my boyfriend (he's a tech guy). :) Took me no more than 5 minutes. There are only two screws on bottom of the device that you have to remove, then the back panel simply slides off. Once you get the interior components exposed, there are 2-3 more screws to remove from the battery connector. Follow the guide on Ifixit or Youtube. Very easy, trust me! The battery is about $5-$10 on eBay, and the OEMs are a bit more, around $20. They should come with a complete kit/tools as well.

Last edited:

DynamicSausage

macrumors 6502
May 29, 2015
Leicestershire, UK
You can check the "health" of your battery with an app on your computer called Coconut battery. Bear in mind that losing 10 - 20% percentage of the original capacity would be normal but a 4S could be over 4 years old now, not surprising at all if it's reached the end of it's life.

pauly800

Suspended
Original poster
Dec 7, 2014
Okay but is there a way to find out right now that my battery is not good? I definitely noticed my battery wears out a lot faster than normal. There were days where i use my iphone not that much and i wouldn't need to recharge my iphone for 2 or even 3 days. Now it seems like even when not using it much throughout the day, i have to charge it every single night.

pauly800

Suspended
Original poster
Dec 7, 2014
I heard about buying it on ebay where you get battery and the kit and tools to do it. Is it pretty simple for someone who doesn't have a clue with this as in replacing a battery?

pauly800

Suspended
Original poster
Dec 7, 2014
Not sure about the diagnostics but you should really consider replacing the battery yourself. I did it myself without the help of my boyfriend (he's a tech guy). :) Took me no more than 5 minutes. There are only two screws on bottom of the device that you have to remove, then the back panel simply slides off. Once you get the interior components exposed, there are 2-3 more screws to remove from the battery connector. Follow the guide on Ifixit or Youtube. Very easy, trust me! The battery is about $5-$10 on eBay, and the OEMs are a bit more, around $20. They should come with a complete kit/tools as well.

I took a look at the video on youtube. The person however says few things could go wrong and few did while during the video. You had none of these issues at all? I'm horrible at fixing things which is why i don't really want to even try this.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
It's a piece of cake replacing the battery on a 4/4S. It takes around 10 minutes and the special screwdriver (Torx) can be purchased along with the battery for less than $20.
Alternatively you can take your phone to many phone repair shops and they will do it for you. An Apple store will do it for you too, but expect to be charged way over the odds.

Really though, if your battery 'suddenly' started performing worse it is more likely to be due to software. I would try a 'reset all settings' in the settings/general menu. Then go through the settings menus afterwards and toggle certain things off in order to conserve battery life. Things like background app refresh and location services (including the system ones) for everything except those apps you still wish to use GPS.

convergent

macrumors 68040
May 6, 2008
A phone that old the battery is probably at end of life. If you aren't comfortable with taking apart VERY tiny things with VERY tiny screws, then there are independent stores all over the place that replace iPhone batteries. Do a google search on "YourCity iPhone battery replace" and you'll find something most likely. Also any large mall probably has a store that does it. There is even a booth at our local flea market on the weekends that does it here. I would guess they'll charge around $50-100 to replace it. Amazon also sells the replacement battery and toolkit to do it yourself.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.