iPhone 4s battery issue

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Midgetinabikini, Dec 10, 2015.

1. Midgetinabikini macrumors regular

So, I have an old iPhone 4s running the last iOS (10.1?) and the battery drain is crazy, with some Chrome, Facebook app and Whatsup, I reach low levels after two hours, and I'm not a heavy user, every now and then I check messages, but it's not on all the time. I made some tweaks like disabling background refreshing, location and stuff like that, but it's still not helping.

Now I'm thinking to buy a new battery, but before I buy one, I want to know how I can make sure if it's software or hardware problem. Is there anyway I can really check?

2. 3568358 macrumors 6502

Its an iPhone 4s, thats your problem. It's about 5 models old. It came out multiple years ago. Technology at that time wasn't great. The battery wasn't great to begin with. Over time the battery life deteriorates. Apps use more CPU and RAM due to complexity and such = kills battery faster. You just need a new iPhone, perhaps the latest and greatest iPhone 6s.

So to answer your question, its software and hardware.
    Software- being the apps in the store now a days, not the OS. Apps use much more data and processing power to tend to today's needs. Most apps are designed for the newer greater faster more efficient processor in the latest iPhones.
    And the hardware is OLDDDD! You need an upgrade, like now. The processor is extremely slow on the iPhone 4s, probably one of the slowest.

The iPhone 6s is the fastest phone in the world and the battery will definitely last all day with no problems.

3. XT550 macrumors regular

XT550

Do a clean install -restore your phone as new. It's a pain but at least you'll know whether or not it's software related.

4. 3568358 macrumors 6502

its not software related. Thats just how it is. Year 2015 apps, and 2011 hardware. DOESN'T MIX!!

5. Newtons Apple macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

Take it to an Apple store and they will diagnose it for free.

If you really want to keep and use the phone, let Apple replace the battery and get it done right

6. Midgetinabikini thread starter macrumors regular

Already done a clean install a while ago, didn't helped much.

We don't have Apple stores here, I'll have to do it by myself.

7. HEK macrumors 68030

HEK

You do know that batteries have a lifespan right. After 300-500 recharges they are down to 80% of their original capacity. In five years you probably at less than half of when new. Take to Apple Store have em check it. If you don't have Apple Store call em and see what can be done. you got lots of years out of it, maybe time for new phone. When they say lasts a lifetime, they mean the products lifetime not yours. Good luck and let us know the outcome.

8. VertPin macrumors 6502

VertPin

Well, the issue is you own a 4S. As long as you have AppleCare or are willing to shell out some cash, they will either give you a new battery, or refurbished 4S (5/5S/5C if the 4S is completely gone).

I hope you intend I'm upgrading to the 7 or even the 6S now. The 5S is still great, but 1GB of RAM is holding it back.

9. pearphone7 macrumors newbie

pearphone7

Dude, the 4S belongs in a museum at this point. The price on the 6's has really come down since the S was released - I'd cut your losses and upgrade.

10. Newtons Apple macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

No everyone has the ability to purchase the latest and greatest and a 4S is still better that a new android in my opinion.

11. Midgetinabikini thread starter macrumors regular

I'm not going to replace. I'll replace the battery and hope for the best, perhaps will gain another year or two with it.

12. joeblow7777 macrumors 68040

No. Not that there's anything wrong with a 4s for many tasks, but it's pretty biased to say that a 4 year old iPhone beats current Android devices.

13. geta macrumors 6502a

€629 is not cheap for unlocked 16GB iPhone 6.

OP - No need wasting your money, stick with your plan and replace the battery (i would go to Apple shop), and keep using the 4s as long as it serve your needs. As a light\average user, i getting without a problem full day with my 4s, and im sure i can use it few more years if i need to...

14. willmtaylor, Dec 13, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2015

willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

Get on your Mac/PC and download Coconut Battery. Then plug in your phone. It will tell you the health of your iPhone's battery.

Your post reads like someone from a doomsday cult. My wife still uses her 4(S) and is very happy with it. I also have students still using 4's and 4(S)'s without issue, so while the model IS old, merely saying "It's old hardware, so you need a new phone" isn't really helpful.

He/she obviously knows the phone is old and obviously knows the newest (most expensive) iPhones are fast. If he/she wanted to just buy a new iPhone, he/she wouldn't have started this thread.

15. Midgetinabikini thread starter macrumors regular

willmtaylor, 10x for the advice. From Coconut I get that the current chrage is 1158mAh, Maximun charge is 1146-1261mAh, design capacity 1430 mAh and 81%. Also says I had 1441 loadcycles.

This info gives me some idea, I'll order a new battery today, next year I'll buy new phone.

Thank you again!

16. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

You bet. Always happy to help out scantily-clad midgets. Best of luck.

17. Midgetinabikini thread starter macrumors regular

The first time of coconut was wrong, battery life was at 61% and not as I wrote. But anyway, I ordered new battery+tools+back plate+shipment. only 88$, took me 5 minutes to replace it. Much better now.

18. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

Great. Glad it worked out. Hopefully all will be well for a while.