iPhone 4s battery issues. I want to get it replaced

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Parkbruce, Oct 20, 2011.

1. Parkbruce macrumors newbie

Like most iPhone 4s users, I've notIced that the battery is significantly worse than the iPhone 4. Also I've charged my phone atleast 5 times the last week and in my settings-usage-time since last full charge, it doesn't display anything and says it will Once iPhone is fully charged which I have done many times. That is the only issue and I really want toget my phone replaced .. Because I have a little scratch in the back How can I get it replaced?

2. midnightfalcon macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

Take it to an apple store

3. davelanger macrumors 6502a

Rest those settings on your phone and also let your phone full die before you recharge it to see if that fixes your issue.

Also do you keep wifi, cloud and bluetooth on all the time? Those will kill your battery

4. deeddawg macrumors 604

There's a big difference between many and most. With over 4 million units sold, there'd be a LOT more activity here if "most" had problems. That doesn't make the trouble any less aggravating for those who have it though.

The typical way to get service on an Apple product is to call Apple or visit an Apple store. You should do that if your phone isn't performing to your needs.

5. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

It's normal. Get used to it. The A5 chip & Siri consume a lot of power.

6. deeddawg macrumors 604

Clearly it isn't normal when there is such a significant variance in standby battery usage. Sure, A5 and Siri likely use more power, but when the phone is in standby people should be seeing similar results and not the wide variation that is evident from numerous posts.

7. RollTide1017 macrumors regular

I wish people would quit posting this as a fix. I never turn Bluetooth on and I always have WiFi on. My 3GS never had these types of battery issues and I always had WiFi turned on as well. I just don't believe that it is WiFi causing the problem and it is not Bluetooth since I have that turned off. I have been wondering if maybe iCloud was constantly checking for things in the background as that is the only difference between my 4S and 3GS.

8. whiskeyvol macrumors regular

there's a setting for that

9. fjrabon macrumors regular

This isn't an issue for 'most' iPhone 4S users. I guarantee you that this isn't happening to over 2 million people.

It sounds like you're having a major issue with calibration, as it seems that it won't fully charge your battery. Something seems like it is off between the battery, phone and software when it comes to detecting if it's full or not. I'd take it in. Tell them that your phone says it's fully charged, but in settings it says you've never fully charged it and that it seems like you're definitely not getting a full charge out of the battery.

10. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

It's location services!!

11. fjrabon macrumors regular

not sure if that was sarcastic or not, but location services/the A5 chip/wifi/bluetooth, etc. aren't causing his phone to display that it has never been fully charged.

I think people just come in, read 'battery issues' in the thread title and never actually bother to read the OP. Instead they just give you their favorite settings to adjust for a small bump in battery life.

12. davelanger macrumors 6502a

Well if your phone is always looking for a wifi connection when it cannot find one how is that not going to kill the battery. Did you even try to turn off wifi to see if it gives you more battery life? If you are asking for help and not taking suggestions, then that is on you.

Also try to let your battery fully run out, then recharge it over night to see if that works.

13. Dblox macrumors newbie

First full charge fixes it!!

When I got my 4S it was 40% full. I charged to 100% overnight. Following days battery usage was pathetic. Lasted about 6 hours .... you could almost see the battery indicator drop. Called Apple who said they would replace ..... told them I would give it two days. Let phone run down COMPLETELY and gave it a FULL charge. 80% battery drain (down to 20%) lasted 14 hours. Full charge again. This time, 16.5 hours use and the capacity is down to 67%!! I think you could call that a seriously GOOD result. Not charging tonight .... will last another complete day.
    And you know what? Forget the bull about location services, wifi etc. I had it ALL on .... including Bluetooth.
    VERY impressive ..... delighted with my 4S!! Android eat your heart out!!:D

14. OCJeff macrumors regular

It's not the phone folks... it's the IOS

This is not an iPhone 4S issue, but an IOS5 issue.

I upgraded my wife's Verizon iPhone 4 16GB to IOS5 and she used to have 80% battery left at the end of the day (on 4.2.6), now she has 10%, if that. This is something that is software related, and not a hardware problem.

I agree turning off all the feature makes it last longer, but that is not a long term fix. It's a software issue that should be fixable.

-Jeff

15. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

I don't think it has anything to do with IOS 5

My battery life has been even better since i upgraded to IOS 5 on my 4.