iPhone 4S Battery life 200 hours not 300

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by stu212, Oct 5, 2011.

1. stu212 macrumors member

I noticed this on the apple site, 200 hours of standby time instead of the 300 on previous devices. They never mentioned that anywhere in big letters did they.

Attached Files:

2. Sneakz macrumors 65816

Sneakz

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

Do you go a week without charging your phone? I don't think it'll be noticeable.

3. mlmwalt macrumors 6502a

Who leaves their phone sitting around for that long???? :rolleyes:

4. blacka4 macrumors 6502

hell I can't go a day without charging. going more then 1 day will be great.

5. drb1992 macrumors 6502

drb1992

Those of us who have jobs that don't give us any/much time to use your cellphone. I know people still use their phones at work, even if they are not suppose to, but I doubt it is that much (this is coming from my own personal experience and noticing co workers phone habits at work).

6. moel macrumors 6502

Thing is though, although no one will actually answer this further down the page.

is 90% of the time my iPhone is in standby mode.

I do not talk for 8 hours of the day.

Therefore

If it's in standby mode it's losing power faster, and therefore surely won't last as long on a charge? Or will it...

So will it last longer or shorter between charges than the iPhone 4?

7. stu212 thread starter macrumors member

The thing that I am worried about is kinda what Moel said. Will my iPhone 4S lose more power in my pocket than the iPhone 4 I have just now.

I charge my phone everyday as I need to but I notice my battery lasts about one day maybe two. Will the new iPhone battery run out quicker just by being in my pocket.

8. drb1992 macrumors 6502

drb1992

I would think it wouldn't last as long. Maybe Apple decided to be more honest and 200 hours is the real life battery life in standby(on the 4S and 4), which I highly doubt, but I am just throwing that out there. Also, there maybe some settings you can change to get the same battery life as the iP4 or even better battery life.

9. toiday macrumors regular

It seems a little strange... The talk 2G talk time is 14 hours, same as iPhone 4 and better than iPhone 3GS. The 3G talk time is 8 hours, better than both iPhone 4 and iPhone 3GS. So, why the standby time is 1/3 less than both the iPhone 4 and iPhone 3GS. I thought that's a little odd.

10. stu212 thread starter macrumors member

It is odd, I wonder if it will be better without location services on.

11. Ounce macrumors member

Could this be iOS5 related? Background iCloud services could account for that drop in standby time.

12. admanimal macrumors 68040

That's what I was thinking. Maybe they are just being honest about what is likely to be running on the phone when it's in standby.

13. MacBpro macrumors member

I think I need a new battery... my battery can last for a day... dying :(

14. ap3604 macrumors 68000

15. Peverell macrumors newbie

Maybe you didn't notice, but with the iPhone 4S you can browse only 9 hours instead of 10 hours on the iPhone 4 - on WiFi. That sucks!

16. NovemberWhiskey macrumors 68030

NovemberWhiskey

Does anyone? Standby time affects overall real-world usage time, not just what the term literally implies.

It all boils down to whether or not you are going to get through your day, and with 100 hrs less stated standby time, it may imply that your real-world usage is going to go down dramatically.

Funny how some people used battery life to denigrate the adoption of 4G, but we are already seeing a major denigration (and some of those same people are excited about the 4s changes)

Either way, it all remains to be seen. I just hope we can get through a day with heavy use, with some buffer left before needing to charge. Without a swappable battery, getting through a day (8AM-12AM) is really necessary.

17. ap3604 macrumors 68000

9 hours of WiFi browsing with a new dual core processor 2x as fast and your complaining? Seriously? :rolleyes:

How much time in a 16 hour day do you realistically spend on your phone wifi browsing before you have to sleep? :confused::confused::confused:

18. Globetrotter macrumors regular

Globetrotter

so it seems the new phone is power hungry in standby, though it's probably just the A5.

In all honesty, just another reason to stay clear of the 4S.

People in the real world like me who use their phone to email, listen to music, check voicemails, online browsing throughout the day are struggling without finding a power socket half way through the day

Apple could have solved this with a marginally bigger screen, bigger case, and bigger battery

19. ap3604 macrumors 68000

You are out of your mind :p

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1240393

Difference is only 2.5% difference per day vs the iPhone 4 :rolleyes:

20. Globetrotter macrumors regular

Globetrotter

21. NovemberWhiskey macrumors 68030

NovemberWhiskey

i think it will be greater than that. standby time is just one metric. I think what this really indicates is that there is a higher consumption of battery due to the new processor/graphics. have to wait for real-world use to see what kind of drop we will see

22. 3bs macrumors 603

3bs

23. ap3604 macrumors 68000

No hope required... It's kind of hard to argue with mathematics ;) :p

24. bagelche macrumors 6502

bagelche

That makes no sense. Apple could have solved a power hungry CPU by adding a bigger screen which consumes more power? Yes, the could have made a bigger case, but if Apple came out with a bigger case that wasn't teardrop shaped or otherwise thinner than the 4 (both reducing the effective available volume) people would have complained just as much.

People in the real world like you and me who do all those things are going to find that the 4S will likely last just as long as 4 and certainly not worse. 200 hours of standby is over 8 days! We're arguing over strange things here. The day-to-day active usage rating of the phone hasn't changed significantly.

What's your worry? You get similar consumption experiences, but with a significantly better processor, graphics, camera, data rate (on AT&T), antenna structure, Siri, and more. Definitely steer clear of that catastrophe!