Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iMacBooked

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 19, 2013
4 8 15 16 23 42 ✈
My iPhone 4S is getting old now, and so is the battery: Almost 1.000 charge cycles done (986) and the max capacity is only 1197 mAh now, instead of the original 1430 mAh..
Is it worth buying a new battery in this case? Because I hear a lot of people claiming that it would be more like a placebo, and that since iOS 7+ you would never get the same battery power out of it as it used to be on iOS 5-6.
Is there any way to get a better view/calculation on what the improvement actually would be?
I mean yes the max capacity would go up from 1197 mAh to 1430 mAh then, but I suppose that doesn't actually mean I would get 16% more battery life out of it then, or is that really true? :)

Oh and about the replacement itself: I was thinking of sending it to Apple for a new battery (price doesn't matter), but I'm worried that this would mean getting iOS 8.1.2 on it.. right? I really like 7.1.1 jailbroken and don't want to upgrade at all, so does really everything you send to apple (even if it's just for a battery replacement) means you'll be getting the new OS on it? :(
Because if that's the case, the only solution is taking it to a third party repair shop who'll do it quickly and for a few bucks. But then again I don't know where the battery would come from, probably somewhere cheap on let's say eBay or something... The idea of getting a replica/non-apple battery scares me: I suppose cheap batteries aren't the same in quality and have increased risk on overheating?

Any help would be very much appreciated, thanks!! :)

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
1197 mAh is a little bit low, but not so much.
I'd wait a little more before changing the battery.

iMacBooked

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 19, 2013
4 8 15 16 23 42 ✈
1197 mAh is a little bit low, but not so much.
I'd wait a little more before changing the battery.
Hmm I see, well it drains pretty quick though..
Also, the 1197 mAh is just information I got from a battery jailbreak tweak, so idk how trustworthy that would be, it's not like I tested it at the genius bar or something ;)

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
Hmm I see, well it drains pretty quick though..
Also, the 1197 mAh is just information I got from a battery jailbreak tweak, so idk how trustworthy that would be, it's not like I tested it at the genius bar or something ;)

I use ibackupbot for that. Surely it has the same reliability of your jb tweak.

BrettApple

macrumors 65816
Apr 3, 2010
Heart of the midwest
I'd just replace it yourself or take it in to a third party. I replace batteries in iPhones (4,4s,5) fairly frequently. I used to get them from iPhone4Parts and they've been fine. My last one was a Stalion battery from Amazon. It also seems to work just fine.

14fcMDrl.jpg

If you do it yourself, you need a pentalobe screwdriver and a 00 driver. Easy to come by on the web and lots of kits are out there. A pry tool helps to get the battery free from the adhesive.

If you do send it to Apple, it will ship back with 8.1.2 most likely. I sent my 4s in back in November 2013 or so and they updated it to 7.0.X from 6.1.2. Data was kept intact, but if you're jailbroken I wouldn't be surprised if it gets restored and wiped.

Also Apple charges $80 plus shipping. That one on Amazon was $20, and I usually get the iPhone4Parts ones for $8-10, but they've gone up a bit.

Or they will just give you a replacement iPhone. Not sure how they go about it now. They could do either.

https://www.apple.com/support/iphone/repair/battery-power/

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.