iPhone 4s Battery replcement

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mlmwalt, Nov 13, 2013.

1. mlmwalt macrumors 6502a

I have a launch day 4s and the battery is barely getting more than 4 hours of standby (the ****** battery meter is way off too, shuts down anytime it goes below 30% :mad: ). Does :apple: do battery swap outs? I'm leary of third partiers. Am I going to have to spring for a third party battery and replace it myself? The worst part is that my :apple:care + expired in Oct. :(

2. KentuckyApple macrumors regular

KentuckyApple

3. mlmwalt thread starter macrumors 6502a

4. KentuckyApple macrumors regular

KentuckyApple

the connector that attaches the battery ribbon cable to the board should be handled with care, but if you use the included tools you should have no issues. I could probably do it while upside down if I had to.

5. mlmwalt thread starter macrumors 6502a

6. dumastudetto macrumors 68020

Apple does have an official replacement program if you want the battery replaced. And it's insanely affordable. You should definitely go the official route and not risk third-party batteries as these are extremely combustive components.

7. mlmwalt, Nov 13, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2013

mlmwalt thread starter macrumors 6502a

I checked their support and there was nothing there.

Edit: It's there, I'm a boob. But $79 + $7 + a week with no phone is a little steep for a 2 year old phone.

8. diane143 macrumors 6502a

Having the same problem with mine, which started suddenly in October, when I was at an event in a basement with poor coverage. It was suggested I do a restore, which I was considering. I am still on 6.1.3

Saturday it shut off when I picked up a call at 30%, then came back to life at 30%. I also feel it's charging too quickly.

My AC expired 11/2/13 and I wish I had gone to the store by then.

Did anyone find improvements after upgrading to iOS 7*? I'm thinking a new battery is the best option.

9. *~Kim~* macrumors 6502

Try going to the Apple store anyway. They may offer an out of warranty replacement, which you can refuse if you like. It is also possible that they may be lenient and replace it under AC anyway, particularly if you never used it while it was in date and let them know that the issue has been there for a while but getting progressively worse.

10. g4manimac macrumors 6502

Just get you a battery on the way it is 4 little screws and pry the battery out and snap the new one back in.I do have the suggestion of finding a reputable retailer but other than that the actual repair is a breeze and I could do it upside down and I could also do it blindfolded (don't make me prove it)

The things you own end up owning you ...That is sooooo true

11. IpadSC400 macrumors 6502a

IpadSC400

Replacing the battery is chicken

Like aformentioned, it's a nothing. It will void any warranty Apple has on your phone though.

I replace many many batteries on many many iPhones I can do it blind folded as well. In case you haven't noticed my sig, I buy and sell them. ;);)

12. Jnesbitt82 macrumors 6502

Jnesbitt82

I bought two of these about a month ago and replaced the battery in mine and my wife's 4S phones.
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CO8GFOG/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The seller I had was this guy:
    MobileStop (USA, SHIP SAME DAY) FEDEX OVERNIGHT & 2ND DAY AVAIL.

After the swap and initial charge, the batteries have performed amazingly well. Total cost for both batteries with free shipping was $11.86. Good luck!