Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dahl24

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 13, 2015
Hello,

If anyone can help with this I will be eternally in your debt (a metaphor, non contractually binding).

Basically the phone is now stuck in recovery mode, but after searching for quite a while I can't find any solution. Here is exactly what happened and all the things I've done:

My iPhone 4s was running on ios 7 and hadn't been updated for quite some time... Just recently I started to get battery drain issues, so after some failed troubleshooting I decided I would update (ios 8.3)...

Initially I tried to update from the phone itself. The update downloaded, but crashed during the install, frozen on the verifying update screen (I left it for 4 hours).

I reset the phone, and it came back on. The update was downloaded on the phone, but when I checked, it hadn't been installed, it was still on ios 7 (should of left it here, and all would be well).

So, I deleted the download update from my phone, and decided to update through iTunes. This time it crashed again, frozen on the apple logo/progress bar screen.

This time, the phone would not restart. It just comes on in recovery mode with the red iTunes logo and cable.

I tried to restore, however I just get the following error when the progress bar is at about 3/4 on the phone:

"The iphone could not be restored, an unknown error occured (1)"

I put the phone in DFU mode with the black screen, and tried to restore again. The same error occurred at the same time again. I have tried restoring in both recovery and DFU mode numerous times.

I have the latest version of itunes 11.2.2, but macbook is running on Snow Leopard (Everything works perfectly on my macbook and has done for ages, so I don't want to update my OSX, this is not the first time I have suffered apples update issues).

I've never jailbroken my phone, but come upon lots of info whilst searching for a solution to this problem (for example downgrading back to iOS 7)

However, I don't have my SHSH Blobs (did I get that right?), so I believe this rules out installing iOS. If there is a way I can do this, that would be amazing.

Any advice at all (apart from "use as a paperweight" or "use as a hammer") would genuinely be very much appreciated...

matthew2926

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2013
Michigan
iTunes error 1 signifies a hardware issue. Because you said that you experienced decreased battery life shortly before you tried to update, my guess is that either your baseband chip or somet u ing else in your phone failed which resulted in decreased battery life. This can be confirmed by attempting to restore in DFU or recovery mode (preferably DFU) from a different computer. If another computer also gives you error 1 in iTunes, you're pretty much out of luck. In addition, because you've tried to update your phone, there will most likely be no way to get it working back on iOS 7 again. You will either have to get iOS 8 running or consider it bricked.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.