Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mazda 3s

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 29, 2006
I love the design of Apple's bumper cases for the iPhone 4S, but they are too confining around the dock connector and only allow for the use of Apple's USB/docking cables.

Third party cables that are thicker around the connector base won't work at all. This is the predicament I find myself in because the proprietary iPhone/iPod hookup in my Hyundai Sonata won't work with the standard bumper case without enlarging the opening (which I don't have the tools to do).

screenshot20120102at241.jpg

I've tried at least three different "cheap" Chinese bumper cases from eBay but they have either been ill-fitting or just pure crap.

So I'm looking for a good bumper case that offers a generous "open space" around the dock connector to allow for larger dock connectors. Any recommendations?

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
They make an extension cable, which can be had on eBay. The dock end is the same size as that which is packaged with your iPhone. They are dirt cheap too.

Mazda 3s

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 29, 2006
They make an extension cable, which can be had on eBay. The dock end is the same size as that which is packaged with your iPhone. They are dirt cheap too.

I thought about that, but the factory cable is already too long to begin with. I don't need another 2-3 ft of cable rolled up/hanging around taking up space.

It would also mean that I'd have to get extension cables for the variety of 3rd-party connectors I have laying around the house.

Having a case with a wider opening just makes it easier all around :)

DroidRules

macrumors 65816
Aug 10, 2010
I have the same connector for my Kia and I took the plastic housing off around the metal shield. Wrap some electrical tape around it and you're done. You can use it with any case made.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.