iPhone 4S Bumper Scratching Bezel?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by 999blb, Dec 2, 2012.

1. 999blb macrumors member

Hey everyone,
    I have had a bumper on my iPhone since I got it back in August. I took it off so I could put a new case I got on it, and now I see some scratches on the bezel; they're mainly by the sim card tray by the power button, and below the volume buttons. I never thought about taking it off to clean it regulary, so that may have been the issue. It's really bothering me that they're there, and I think it's Apple's fault sort of... I want to get an appointment at the Genius Bar. My main question is would they most likely replace my iPhone with a new one due to this problem? It's currently running iOS 5.1.1 with Straight Talk as my carrier, but I still have the original AT&T SIM if they need a different SIM. Would they replace the iPhone with the same firmware? I rely on a jailbreak to use Straight Talk (I'm going to re-restore to stock though so I can use my warrenty), so that's my main concern right now. Sorry for my concerns, I've never gone to the Genius Bar because I've had no problems with my products before this.

Thanks a ton!

2. Rocko1 macrumors 68020

Rocko1

If you bought an Apple bumper from Apple, some, in rare cases, have had them replaced. If they do replace it, it will come with ios 6.0.1. If it's not an Apple bumper, you are SOOL.

3. syd430 Guest

Yes this well documented already. Not just Apple bumpers, but many 3rd party cases too.

Also, a replacement, seriously?

4. 999blb thread starter macrumors member

I've seen people with same problem I have get replacements. As long as I have a warranty, might as well try, right?

5. itjw macrumors 65816

Maybe it's faulty steel coating???

LMAO

And no, nearly every phone is 6.0-6.01 at Apple now because, um, well... They have heard of jailbreaks lol. It voids warranty. It even voids faulty steel!

Live with it or sell it and get a new, sealed 5.11 off the bay :)

6. 999blb thread starter macrumors member

I'm re-restoring it back to 5.1.1, which should get rid of the jailbreak. Once I do that, they have no proof that I have jailbroken my device.

7. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

You can try, but in my opinion, Apple doesn't owe you a replacement.

8. 999blb thread starter macrumors member

I bought the bumper to PROTECT my phone, not to have it damage my phone. I could see why they wouldn't replace it due to using a third party cause, but this is an Apple-designed product. That's what I'm thinking.

9. Mrbobb macrumors 601

10. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

If you had done some homework on bumpers for your iPhone you would have seen the existing threads/ information on what some people have experienced over the years.

Lots of theories about grit rubbing between the bumper frame and antenna band etc.

11. syd430 Guest

It's more to protect if from drops than minor scratches.

The irony is, is that if you didn't use a case at all then your iphone would be completely scratch free under normal use. The steel band and back glass are remarkably scratch resistant.

My naked iphone 4 lasted 2 years of pretty rough use without a single scratch, until I upgraded to a 5.

Also another reason why I didn't use a bumper is because I read the reviews on Apple's website before I bought it, which often noted that it would scratch the steel band.

So in your case you didn't bother to check reviews or do any research, and combined with your OCD about scratches, you are entitled to another new phone. That's the thinking right .