iPhone 4S Buying Advice (a very complicated case)

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by stropeyer7, Oct 16, 2011.

1. stropeyer7 macrumors newbie

Hey Everyone!

I would appreciate any and all advice about what I should do regarding buying an iPhone 4s. The story is quite complicated so here goes.

I bought an iPhone 4 in August of 2010 with AT&T under a 2 year contract. I then got that iPhone stolen in Brussels in June of this year (in a ridiculous turn of events that I shall not elaborate on). I was out of the country until mid August and at that point made the decision to wait and see what Apple would come up with knowing that I would have to pay an early upgrade price anyway. I now somewhat regret that decision (someone told me the "S" stands for "Sucker") since I've been using a Nokia brick phone ever since.

My options now are as follows.

Pay early upgrade which for 16 gig (what I want) is 450.
    Buy an unlocked iPhone 4s and use that to run out the rest of my contract. price there is 650.
    Make use of the fact that my Mother has a 3GS and is eligible for a full upgrade now so 200 for new iPhone 4S. But the question here is if she buys that under her phone number would I be able to do sim card switch and use that iPhone 4S with my number and she use the 3GS with hers? We are on a family plan together.

This all gets complicated by the fact that I might spend the entire 2012-2013 academic year (or half of it) abroad (I'm a college student). In tha case having an unlocked phone really makes sense to me but I am of course very very weary of paying 650 plus tax on a phone....

Well any thoughts are much appreciated! Are there any options I might have missed?

2. Sc24evr macrumors member

I was in a similar boat and i just transferred to verizon. If you break your ATT contract its only 170, so it would technically be cheaper to break your ATT contract and start a new one and get the phone that it would be to early upgrade. Since switching to verizon, I haven't had a dropped call yet. Good luck