iPhone 4S call echo!

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by uk1simon, Oct 25, 2011.

1. uk1simon macrumors member

Hi Everyone,
    I am having an issue with my iPhone 4S 64GB Black during calls while using my earphones. A short while into the call you hear a lot of static (white) noise and the person the other end hears a lot of echo. You have to hung up and redial to continue the conversation and repeat process as needed. I have restored my phone twice now as a new iPhone and tried several different handsfree wired earphones all with the same results.

Any advice?

Thanks
    Simon.

2. smitzzz24, Oct 25, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2011

smitzzz24 macrumors member

I'm having the same issue...back gets hot when it does this as well. Only fix I've found is when using the phone and it starts to echo, etc, press the speakerphone button and press it again to get back to the headphones. Its a short term fix and hopefully they are working to get it corrected. Theres quite a few pages of this same issue on the apple support forums. Hope this helps.

**Sorry, I should have clarified- I have a 32 gb white.

3. uk1simon thread starter macrumors member

I've got my second appointment the the genius bar tomorrow, will report back.

4. hchoo macrumors newbie

I'm having the same problem... got a new phone this morning and the same thing is happening... I have an appt with the genius in a few hours.. for the second time... I have a feeling that this an issue with all the 64 GB.

also, it sounds muffled when you talk using your apple earphones.. when you use the phone without the earphones, the person on the other side can hear better and clearer...

I'm considering asking them to exchange it for a 32GB if this problem continues...

5. smitzzz24 macrumors member

I edited my post from earlier- I should have clarified, mine is a White 32gb ATT version.

6. hchoo macrumors newbie

mine is a black 64 GB AT&T... and this is the brand new one that I got replaced this morning.. I have an appt in a few hours to try to solve this AGAIN

7. uk1simon thread starter macrumors member

Ok, Had mine replaced today at the genius bar (UK). Will be testing it for the next few hours.

8. riomadera macrumors newbie

9. jmgrace macrumors newbie

Echo/Static Problem with iPhone 4S when using earbuds

I'm having the same problems with iPhone 4S and I actually have tried it on both a iPhone 4S 16GB White (which I returned) and also on a iPhone 4S 32GM Black, which got when I returned what I thought was a defective first iPhone 4S.

I have the same problem. I make a call, it is crystal clear and about 5-15 minutes into the call, I get an echo or static on the line which both me and the caller can hear. At first I thought it was bad reception, but now I realize that it was only happening when using the earbuds. I can get it to stop (temporarily) by pressing the speakerphone button and then toggling back.

Pretty much this and the rapid battery lose make this iPhone 4S the most disappointing iPhone I have yet to own.

Thankfully, I still have my iPhone 4 and will return the iPhone 4S (again) once these problems are resolved. This phone feels more Beta than ready for prime time.

--Jeff

10. clandherr macrumors newbie

Meeting with genius bar

I have been having the exact same problem. I met with apple yesterday and they seem to think that the mic on the phone turns back on when you are using the headset. They believe it is a software flaw in IOS 5 and they think the issue will be fixed with the next software update.

I don't think it is worth trying to replace your phone as it will do the same thing. I would wait and see if they release a software update that will fix this issue.

11. Revearti macrumors member

iPhone 4S Audio Issues

I agree with the quoted suggestion. I'm having glitches that all relate to the microphone, and I believe it is software based at this point. Especially, if people are returning their phones and experiencing the same problems.

The temporary fix listed on Apple Discussions is to turn the speaker on/off during the call, and it should kill the echo. This leads me to believe there will be a software update in the near future.

Issue 01
    If I use the earbuds, the caller on the other end will hear their own echo a few minutes into the conversation. If I take out the earbuds, the echo vanishes.

Issue 02
    If I use Siri, there are times when the microphone won't pick up my voice unless I put my mouth directly in front of the mic. I have to use the phone and use a couple applications before the mic reverts back to its normal sensitivity.

Issue 03
    After using Siri, the speaker will boost to maximum volume for about 5-8 seconds. I hear it when I slide to unlock, sleep/wake the phone, or type on the keyboard.

12. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

I am very happy to report that Apple has finally overcome their struggles to build a good phone. After the dreadful iPhone 4 Antennagate scandal, one in which so many fanbois sided with Apples practice of denial, it's very satisfying to see that silently Apple got to work & included an excellent phone in the AT&T 4S.

This particular phone does not display the problem cited in this thread. So perhaps once again Apple has a quality control problem preventing them from consistently building a good product.

Only time will tell.

13. d4104 macrumors newbie

Not just 4S

My iPhone 4 has the same issue. I see this hasn't been dealt with in over a year.

Wondering if this problem has gone away, or if users are just aren't talking about it anymore.

14. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I would think its a carrier issue and not cause of a particular cellphone model.