Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Damn Dirty Ape

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 23, 2010
Illinois
Ok I've had the 4s since the 14th like most others and it is an awesome phone... save for one thing. About half the time when I make an outgoing call, it will connect to the network, the timer will show on the screen but I hear nothing from the earpiece. No ringback to my ear, no audio when someone answers or voicemail if no one answers on the other end. On the signal meter I am showing 4 of 5 at my house . It happens when I am out but moreso at home.

All Verizon tech can suggest is to reset the phone which I've already done BEFORE calling them. It happens whether I have any apps installed or not. I do *not* miss incoming calls that I know of (no voicemails without ringing or people telling me I didn't answer).

I am thinking the only thing left to do is to go to the verizon store and see if they can swap for a new one; I'm not too optimistic since supplies might still be very short.

Anyone else seeing this? I did search but either it's not been reported or my search skills aren't the greatest on this board.

Damn Dirty Ape

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 23, 2010
Illinois
Just found something interesting - I just had another outgoing call with no audio and I hit the SPEAKERPHONE button. Lo and behold I hear the other end ringing, I hit the speakerphone button again and the ringing can be heard in the earpiece. Hmm.

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
One thing to be aware of is if you have a Bluetooth headset, you may accidentally have it connected, so audio goes there instead of to the earpiece in the phone itself. (I've made that mistake many times.) You can tap the 'source' button (speaker/phone/bluetooth) to choose the phone.

Another is if you have any debris in the headphone jack, it may think you have headphones plugged in, and be sending audio there instead of to the earpiece (and taking from the microphone.) If you can use the speakerphone, but not the earpiece, that could be it. (I got that a lot on my original iPhone, not nearly as much on the iPhone 3G, and haven't had it happen yet on my 4S.)

Damn Dirty Ape

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 23, 2010
Illinois
One thing to be aware of is if you have a Bluetooth headset, you may accidentally have it connected, so audio goes there instead of to the earpiece in the phone itself. (I've made that mistake many times.) You can tap the 'source' button (speaker/phone/bluetooth) to choose the phone.

Another is if you have any debris in the headphone jack, it may think you have headphones plugged in, and be sending audio there instead of to the earpiece (and taking from the microphone.) If you can use the speakerphone, but not the earpiece, that could be it. (I got that a lot on my original iPhone, not nearly as much on the iPhone 3G, and haven't had it happen yet on my 4S.)

No bluetooth here, jack is clear but thanks for the ideas!

maqsur

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2009
I've posted this on a couple other forums. I had the EXACT same problem as the OP (i.e. most calls would connect, but no sound from earpiece until I toggled the speakerphone on/off).

I took back to Verizon, but they had none in stock to replace it. I then made appt at Genius Bar at the Apple Store nearby; they tested a couple calls which were fine, and told me to come back if it happened again.

I stayed outside the store, and tried another couple calls, and on the call to Apple Corp number, no sound. Took it back to the technician inside while still on the call, and 15 mins later, they replaced the phone for me with a new unit.

No charge, of course, and they were very friendly and professional about it. They said noone else had complained about that problem to this point.

My advice, just get it replaced, because I tried factory restoring twice, resetting network settings, cleaning headphone jack, etc. Had to be replaced.

chicagofire

macrumors newbie
Oct 27, 2011
This seems to be a problem that others are having as well. Here's a link to the apple support forums thread https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3404857?tstart=0. I have two phones. One works fine and the other has this problem. When dialing out, there's no sound coming from the phone's earpiece. I can see the call timer start when the other person answers the phone and they can hear me, but, I can't hear them. Toggling the speakerphone on and then off again forces the earpiece to work and everything is fine. It's very annoying.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.