iPhone 4S Camera - $49 (Upgrade Info)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by proathlete03, Oct 7, 2011.

?

Would you be happy with the iPhone 4 if you had the new 4S 8MP camera?

1. YES!!! No other reason to upgrade.

5 vote(s)
    17.2%
  2. No. I really want Siri and the A5 chip.

22 vote(s)
    75.9%
  3. Undecided

2 vote(s)
    6.9%
  1. proathlete03 macrumors member

Wanted to create a thread for people who only care about the 8MP camera with 1080p and don't really care about Siri or the A5 chip.

I, like most IP4 users here, want to save my upgrade until the IP5 comes out (likely June Developer Conference in 2012). AT&T isn't cutting any breaks for those who adopted the IP4 in June 2010, thus most early upgrades are after November 25th. Assuming you wait until this date, it would be early 2013 before you would be eligible again for a new phone... YIKES!

So how do you get the new slick 8MP camera, but without burning an upgrade and for 1/4 the price??? Simple!

The form factor of the 4S is the same as the IP4, it should be only logical that an upgraded camera can be purchased and then installed. Any of us who bought the original IP4 in June are already out of warranty, thus there is no compelling reason not to upgrade the internals. Its just like adding a bigger SATA drive into a Macbook Pro, you just open it up, drop it in, and your good!

Thoughts?

Currently the IP4 rear camera is selling for $49, I assume the 4S will be the same price, or close to it.

Input?

We can call it the iPhone 4 Deluxe!

[​IMG]

2. Deako macrumors 6502

Not possible sorry. Its not as simple as swapping out a lens & sensor.

3. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

we'll probably won't know until someone tries swapping out cameras.

4. proathlete03 thread starter macrumors member

I respectfully disagree. You will still get the higher image quality. I'm sure iOS has the correct drivers since it would be an OEM part and not 3rd party.

5. bpeeps macrumors 68020

bpeeps

And thus begins the speculation again, hope you don't hype yourself out only to be disappointed.

6. dojoman macrumors 65816

What about image stabilization? I don't think new lens has optical stabilizer but done with software?

7. Iphone3gs macrumors 6502

The A5 chip processors information more faster then the A4 chip (abvios people may say).

When taking pictures the A5 chip processors info.

Thats another reason why Iphone 4S takes picture faster then any other phone on the market.

Even if you did add an 8MegaPixel Camera onto an Iphone 4 - it wont process as quickly as an Iphone 4S.

Also it has a sensor which gives better picture stabilzation which Iphone 4 wont have

8. lateralus1082 macrumors member

I hope you remembered that it probably does have different connectors since the motherboard is different on the phone. But of course, it's just easy peasy as swapping out the lens, amirite?:)

9. proathlete03 thread starter macrumors member

Yes. you are correct. But the point here is COST vs BENEFIT. You are spending $49 to have the slick 8MP camera and are still eligible for a new phone at any point in the future. Image stabilization is more for video and that can be done with software.

10. benfica88 macrumors regular

No way. Not only will there be software issues, the physical connector will not be the same.

11. Deako macrumors 6502

Its not just about drivers. Sure, if someone reverse engineered the phone completely, it would be possible. But iOS on an iPhone 4 (N90) will be expecting a 5mp camera, and its associated hardware. Whether the software has the necessary drivers is irrelevant. Also, each model of iPhone has a specifically tailored version of iOS. So the iPhone 4S (N94) will have different version of the iOS build, even though they might show the same version number.

12. optophobia macrumors 6502a

optophobia

Agreed. I believe "most" iphone 4 owners WILL upgrade to the iphone 4S regardless of eligibility.
    I have had every iphone to date and intend to do so.

13. AnthonyHarris macrumors regular

AnthonyHarris

iFixit teardown on the 14th will let us all know how different the internals are, I guess.

I don't think it would be as simple as 'swapping' the cameras though. The 4S will run iOS 5, sure... but it will be optimised for the 4S hardware.

P.s. Didn't see the 'Poll', but i am 100% happy with my iPhone 4 as it is.

14. theConvinced macrumors member

The AT&T upgrade info is not correct as has been the status quo since I believe the 3GS early upgrades appear to be account volume specific. IE., pay a certain amount monthly and the primary phone on the account is eligible for an upgrade. Most single users correctly will not qualify.

15. mrxak macrumors 68000

Drifting through space in a broken escape pod
    In the keynote it was specifically stated that the A5 in the iPhone 4S has special image processors built in to make the 4S camera work right.

16. proathlete03 thread starter macrumors member

Your referring to the image stabilization feature (videos) and the face detector. The optics of the camera would still be identical to the 4S, assuming the connectors fit.

17. aziatiklover macrumors 68030

aziatiklover

18. benfica88 macrumors regular

Actually it won't have the drivers. There's a reason there are different ipsw files for each phone.