iPhone 4S camera flash issue!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jekyoo, Oct 20, 2011.

1. jekyoo macrumors 6502

Is anyone else having this issue? When I take pictures with my flash on, especially in the dark, my pictures are very WASHY. I've performed the same test on my iPhone 4's and my pictures aren't nearly as washed out. The iPhone 4's are black while the 4S is white. Anyone else having this problem?

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/108564/photos/1.JPG
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/108564/photos/2.JPG
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/108564/photos/3.JPG

Pictures 1, 2 and 3 were taken with 3 different iPhone 4's.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/108564/photos/4.JPG <--- my white 4S

2. dieburnbot macrumors 6502a

dieburnbot

Did you take the protective film off and stuff? Do you have a case or anything on it? I dunno, but I would be taking that to the Genius Bar.

3. jekyoo thread starter macrumors 6502

Yes. Initially, I had a case and back body protector on the back but I took it off to see if that was the issue and it wasn't. I'm still getting the same results with a completely bare phone. I just wasted a body protector T_T_T_T

4. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I'm thinking your sensor is defective. I would have Apple replace your phone.

5. MarcBook macrumors 6502a

MarcBook

Yeah, that looks like a problem with the sensor. The white balance and exposure are way off! :eek:

It would be best to take it to Apple and show them sample pictures.

6. MadGoat macrumors 65816

MadGoat

I think the issue is that you need a new chair :p

But you're not the first one I've heard complain about flash pictures being washed out on a white iPhone

7. ste1164 macrumors 6502a

ste1164

Nice chair I have one like that from Ikea :p. But i think the sensor is defective.

8. Donna9400 macrumors newbie

9. Halamire macrumors regular

Halamire

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

I know that if you have your hand close enough to the flash when taking pictures it washes it out. This is from experience

10. jekyoo thread starter macrumors 6502

Went to Apple and they confirmed the issue also.

Since I bought it online, I gotta send it back to them and order a new one. They offered to replace it with a service unit but I declined. With the phone being defective out of the box, I definitely want a brand new unit rather than a replacement one.

11. rmg007 macrumors member

The replacement 4S phones are brand new, not refurbished, at this point anyway.

12. jekyoo thread starter macrumors 6502

I know they aren't but to get a replacement unit already for a defective product out of the box isn't okay with me. If I had the phone for a couple months already and I needed a replacement, I wouldn't mind a replacement unit.

13. Chaos123x macrumors 68000

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

My iPhone 4 and 4S and my sisters 4 all do this. I never use the flash cause it always looks all blue and washed out.

14. Shanewilliams macrumors 6502a

I just noticed the same problem on my 4S tonight. I took pictures of the kids on the porch carving their pumpkins and I thought maybe it was just the flash causing the issue, but after seeing your pictures I am second guessing myself.

OP: If I am understanding you correctly the Apple store offered to replace it for you, but it would be a service replacement correct? I'd think it'd still be a new 4s just minus the packaging. Could be wrong though, I'll post back after going to genius bar tomorrow.

15. futch macrumors 6502

futch

Are your pictures in completely dark rooms hit or miss in terms of clarity? I feel like every 2nd, 3rd, or 4th photo is clear and the rest are blurry.

16. drew0020 macrumors 65816

drew0020

This makes no sense to me. If the replacement phone is new and you get a chance to inspect it first, this is the best of both worlds. Now you run the risk of getting a new phone in box with another problem. You could already have a new perfectly working phone in your hands. And if it did not meet your expectations then you could have turned it down??

17. RipsMctits macrumors regular

I hope this isn't another "white-model exclusive" feature. I'm still waiting for mine in the mail.

18. ste1164 macrumors 6502a

ste1164

I hope it isn't also I want to pick a white one up.

19. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

[/QUOTE]No, it's not white iPhone specific and it would happen on any color I think. I know the issue you're talking about and it appears to have been fixed.
    White iPhone, very dark corner ... flash. I have a skin on the back as well.

photo.JPG

20. RipsMctits macrumors regular

Thanks for the reassurance. :cool:

21. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

^ Are you being sarcastic? I can't tell. I think it's a valid point that the OP has but I also believe it is not specific to any one phone now. A sensor can be bad on either color. The issue people had with the white iPhone flash on the iPhone 4 was very real. I just don't think it's a global issue now.

22. Nhwhazup macrumors 68000

Nhwhazup

My white 4S has no problems with camera or flash and I've tried several different cases some thin with a small cut out to others that have a pretty thick back, i.e. the Phone Suit battery case. With all, my photos have been top quality both with and without the flash.

23. RipsMctits macrumors regular

Not at all.

24. ToddH macrumors 6502a

ToddH

Mine works great!

I took some shots and the flash is awesome. It throws far and lights up subjects very well. The problem you may be having should not be a sensor issue, but more of a glare issue from the glass. It appears that the flash is spilling over to the camera lens and causing glare. If it was a sensor issue, your normal non flash shots would be milky as well. Looks like the flash LED is misaligned and illuminateing the glass from behind.

25. Jason black macrumors regular

I took my case off and took a pic while it was dark and they came out clear and beautiful.mind you with the case, it looked washed out.