iPhone 4S Camera

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MacBookPro13", Dec 4, 2011.

1. MacBookPro13", Dec 4, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 4, 2011

MacBookPro13" macrumors 6502a

MacBookPro13"

Do you use HDR when taking photo's? I don't see much of a difference only that the HDR photo is a little bit brighter, photo quality seems the same.

Just wondering because sometimes it is annoying having two of every photo :D

Also, am I the only one not being able to produce high quality photo's with the 4S?

I took this photo earlier on & it is pretty poor quality in comparison to the ones I have seen other take and the ones Apple claims it can take...

[​IMG]

2. aristobrat macrumors G4

I get the best HDR results when I snap a picture that would otherwise be too dark or too bright. It usually makes a significant difference.

In regular situations, HDR pictures (for me) are just a little bit better than non-HDR.

3. kre62 macrumors 68000

HDR is primarily used for scenes with multiple contrasts, like a dark foreground and light background. On other cameras, youd have to choose between lightening the foreground and washing out the background, or vice versa. HDR gives you best of both worlds.

Youre taking a lowlight photo. Turn off HDR and use the flash.

Also in the camera settings you can turn off the duplicate photo.

4. MagnusF macrumors regular

Go outside and take a photo during daylight.

Have you seen any apple photos taken inside a dark room of a computer? didn´t think so...

5. gadget123 macrumors 68000

The Iphone 4 was probably the best 5mp camera I had seen other than lack of flash.

The 4S for me is definitely not as good as previous generations 8mp phones. The Sony Ericsson C905 was the best 8MP camera phone I had ever seen it was better than the follow up Satio which was 12mp and took horrible coloured pictures.

Certainly colour wise the 4S takes warmer pictures and better colours than current smart phone rivals but if you want a genuine camera replacement step back to a C905. The only thing that let it down was poor video quality the LG Viewty had much better video for a phone of the same generation.

6. trims macrumors regular

7. M Quick, Dec 5, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2011

M Quick macrumors 6502

M Quick

I can see why you don't get a good picture of the one you're showing because of the depth of field is far to varying on such a close up picture to get everything in sharpness if you take in mind that the 4S has f2.4.. so that picture is gonna be hard to get sharp and nice on pretty much any camera. Every tried a DSLR? You would probably have the whole picture blurry except for a little spot, just saying.

Also it depends on where the focus was set on the picture.. And i can't see where you focused, probably the focus is confused as the picture is taken at such an angle on the screen, try having the screen straight or take pictures straight on rather than at an angle, otherwise most pictures will come out like crap.

It's ok to shoot pictures at angles if the subject matter is far away though as that has a wider depth of field rather than close ups as the one you're showing us.

One should always keep in mind that the photo is yours for the taking and not the camera, if you lack the skills of knowing how a camera acts and sets it's preference according to the objects around, you will most likely newer get a good picture. A tip is to read up on photography even though the 4S camera is pretty much just a point and shoot, it will in most times widen your knowledge in photography and give you much better quality pictures.

Oh and another thing, be steady at the hand when taking pictures, it will also do a lot to the image not being blurry. If you're using the volume up, you need to squeeze it firmly but gently as to not shake/move the phone. If you're using the touch screen, remember that when you release the button, that's when the picture is being taken.

8. digitard macrumors 6502a

digitard

Also factor in that taking a photo indoors with low/lamp supplied light is going to show a bit of grain, or a lot, due to the lower light and higher ISO for the picture.

Pretty much any camera, even a nice DSLR, is going to have a lot of grain when you bump up the ISO for indoor photo's and low light around it. The benefit that DSLR's, etc, have is that you can get a nice lens that will allow a lot more light in extremely quick so you can balance the light + ISO. You can't do that with a camera phone.

When a camera like this will really shine is in normal-high light sources.

Camera Phones are NOT going to be a solid test for low light. Will they get the picture? Yes, but at the expensive of grain and so forth.

9. M Quick macrumors 6502

M Quick

I totally agree with you!

And DSLR's also have the benefit of using on camera flash which is a lot better than on any phone, except the obvious of using any off camera(or hot shoe mounted) flash that is gonna improve picture quality by far, even with a bad lens in a dark place.