iPhone 4S Capacity Usage

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by d4rklamp, Nov 15, 2011.

1. d4rklamp macrumors regular

Hi, can anyone tell me what is "other" taking up my space in my iPhone? How can I decrease it? Is it documents & data form my apps or what?

Attached Files:

2. Mutinygraphiks macrumors regular

Mutinygraphiks

usually it is app data you can scrub most of it by uninstalling and recycling apps it also could be bookmarks through safari, calendar reminders, etc.

3. d4rklamp thread starter macrumors regular

Is there an actual way of getting rid of it? Cause I dont remember playing lots of games or anything. By checking iCloud in my documents and data, its only taking 30MB cause I disabled lots of stuff. But still, over 1GB of "Other" seems like a waste of space for me T_T

4. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

I've come to the conclusion that (I think) it has something to do with Music.

I've restored my phone several times now trying to figure out what is causing it to increase so much. Adding Apps, Photos, Movies, Podcast does nothing to increase 'Other', but the moment I start to sync my Music to my iPhone, it begins to increase quite a bit.

But 'Other' tends to increase a lot after the 2nd sync, and I did notice that the status bar says that its adding Album Covers (even though my tracks on my phone already have covers, it adds them again).

5. Jordan921 macrumors 68040

Jordan921

I also use to wonder what "other" was. I always thought it was cydia info and apps when I was jailbroken but i'm on a 4S now and "other" still reads 1.2GB

6. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

This is definitely an issue with iOS 5 (not Apps or Cydia) because throughout iOS 4.x and earlier, my other always hovered around .3 - .5, but as soon as I upgraded to iOS 5 it has doubled to over 1GB.

7. RRNYC macrumors member

Your "other" is really high. My wires was showing up like that but after a restore, it was back down to 380mb

8. d4rklamp thread starter macrumors regular

Exactly, I used to have an iPhone 3G as well and always thought it was the other Cydia partition. But this time, its an iPhone 4S and so far, no jailbreak for it. If music is the culprit, I will try to remove some album artwork and see how it goes. But seriously, very annoying to see over 1GB of "Other".

9. Thetonyk123 macrumors 68000

Thetonyk123

Did you restore from back-up?

10. d4rklamp thread starter macrumors regular

Yes, I restored from iCloud backup. Is this the reason why my "Other" is taking up so much space?

11. rkeato1 macrumors regular

12. Thetonyk123 macrumors 68000

Thetonyk123

When you got it did you restore from a previous iphone from itunes? And if you did was that iPhone Jailbroken?

----------

If you have a lot that can take up space.

13. Danarc macrumors member

14. Thetonyk123 macrumors 68000

Thetonyk123

I wouldn't think that would take up that much space but he can try to delete all his emails.

15. d4rklamp thread starter macrumors regular

Nope. Like I said, I have an iPhone 4S which cannot be jailbroken so far. And nope, I dont have voice memos. Just apps and musics as u can see in the screenshot I posted. The largest app I have is Infinity Blade, but does it seems fair for it to take up so much of the capacity? I do have other "big" apps, but even then, dont think their data take much. Seems like everytime I sync, the "Other" gets larger.

16. Thetonyk123 macrumors 68000

Thetonyk123

Have you cleared cookies and history in safari.

17. RRNYC macrumors member

I plugged my phone into iTunes and mine is 1.08gb. My wife's is about the same now that she has 5.0.1

18. d4rklamp thread starter macrumors regular

I did some more testing about this "Other" taking up space. Seems like it has something to do with musics.

First I completely erased everything on my iPhone 4S, then restored from back up, with all my musics, apps, etc. The "Other" was taking up 0.3GB only. For some reason, without me doing anything on my iPhone, I synced again. That's when I noticed my "Other" increasing. It's mainly when iTunes syncs artwork and genius data. There does not seem to be other way of getting rid of this "Other". Even deleting all musics and syncing back again does not change the "Other. If anyone else have a better idea, please rely.

19. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

I am having this exact issue, same process (as I described in an earlier post above)

During the second sync (after all my music has already been added with Artwork, it re-adds them all again), this is what I see.

[​IMG]

20. Frumious B macrumors newbie

My theory is that "other" is bigger on IOS 5 due to the added backups to iCloud. Maybe it stores a copy of the backup on the phone that it transmits when you plug in and are connected to wifi. If I subtract the size of my backup from "other" I pretty much end up with what my pre IOS 5 "other" was.