Iphone 4s car inline + bluetooth mic?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by InfinitySquared, Oct 17, 2011.

1. InfinitySquared macrumors member

I've already got an easy sound solution I used with my iPod that connects through the dock connector to an inline jack on the back of my car stereo. However, with the 4s comes Siri - and in my testing so far voice command of the music has been very convenient and useful (And this is setting aside the usefulness of voice command in GPS, dictation, etc.)

So what I'd like to do is preserve my dock connector to inline jack sound setup - but also connect to a microphone (with a button to make Siri listen mounted on my steering wheel).

How would I go about achieving this? I haven't seen any accessories that would easily make this work ( to be clear, a bluetooth earpiece is not what I'm looking for).

2. FreakinEurekan, Oct 17, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2011

FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

You could install a bluetooth car kit with line out. I have a Parrot MKi9200, for example.

Only issue is that if you want to use voice command for music, you must connect the phone only via Bluetooth so that music streams wirelessly from the phone, if you plug in the Parrot dock connector to the phone you can't control music by voice.

Whatever Bluetooth kit you choose, make sure it support streaming music (A2DP or AVRCP protocol) and that it has an audio-out jack that you can use to plug into your existing stereo.

To clarify, this solution will probably not let you still use your dock connector - it's possible that a Bluetooth speaker phone would work and still preserve your dock connection, one of the clip-on deals that goes on your sun visor. I think you'd just have to try it and see.

3. InfinitySquared thread starter macrumors member

Hmm, that's not ideal. Running audio over bluetooth would mean a significant loss in sound quality, right? (Most of my music is encoded in 320kbps)

Also, I like that the dock connector charges my phone. And are there even any bluetooth devices that take advantage of the new low power mode and high speed mode stuff in the 4s?

I might have to get a cheap bluetooth speaker from best buy just to see if it works. I can always return it!

This isn't something that a jailbreak would create new solutions for, is it?

----------

PS: This should probably be in the accessories section. To be honest I thought that was where I put it. If anyone wants to move this, I'm down.

4. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

I'm sure it does affect sound quality, but not to an extent that I notice with factory speakers in my cars.

High speed (EDR) is pretty common, most streaming Bluetooth devices will handle that. The low power Bluetooth 4.0 stuff is really not a factor for this type of use.

My Parrot will plug in through the dock connector too, but it bugged me that I couldn't just hit the talk button and say "Play playlist driving songs". Only way to make a selection was with the Parrot's clumsy controls. So I got just a cigarette charger for the phone, and use Bluetooth for all the audio.