Iphone 4S Case Help

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by iggy913, Nov 21, 2011.

1. iggy913 macrumors newbie

I've read on here a lot lately since I will finally be coming into the 21st century and loosing my "dumb" phone for an Iphone 4S.

I work as a Firefighter/Medic in VA and I am inherently hard on my phones, I don't usually drop them but they get scratched up a lot. When I respond to fire calls I'll remove me regular duty boots, empty my pockets (including my phone, keys, knife) and throw everything into my boots, and then I dress into my fire gear.

I see the Otterbox or LifeProof case offer the "ultimate" protection, but they add too much bulk for my tastes. I really like several of the aluminum cases including the E13ctron S4, the Rokform Rokbed, and the Atomic Hybrid C, but I am concerned over potential signal loss/gps issues. I'm also worried with the tight fitting cases and using a screen/back protection piece, I don't mind needing the screen/back protection but I'm worried they will bubble up as the case is installed. The Atomic and E13ctron are also pretty pricey after you add in the carbon fiber back piece and screen protector.

Other cases I looked at were the Magpul Field/Executive Field cases, and the Element Ion 4 Carbon/Kevlar case. I personally like the Element look over the Magpul but again I'm concerned over possible signal/gps loss.

I'm leaning towards the Element over the cases I've mentioned so far, I'm not really worried about crushing the phone, I just would like some drop protection and scratch resistance and I think the Ion with a screen protector would fit the bill, but as I mentioned above am I looking at loosing reception?

Any help and additional recommendations are welcome. Thank you all.

2. JayJayJay macrumors member

I own ALOT of cases, including some very obscure ones that have never been reviewed on here (MeeMojo.com and some others), and, I can absolutely state, without any fear, that the Ion 4 will fit the bill. It's VERY slim adding next to no bulk, with reinforced corners (read: drop protection). There are no signal issues at all.

For me, it provides the best protection from any case that doesn't add a ton of bulk. You will be very pleased.

3. JayJayJay macrumors member

By the way, none of the aluminum cases you mentioned will do anything at all to help protect your phone from drops OR from scratches. AND, most of them contribute to signal reduction. I own some of them, but, they are simply for aesthetic purposes. They do nothing for good for the phone.

4. iggy913 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the reply. I'm pretty much sold on the Element now, however:

Element offers the Ion with the carbon fiber back and the carbon/Kevlar back, I like the look of the carbon/Kevlar piece a little better. The Carbon/Kevlar weave on the back has no affect on reception on the phone or GPS? I thought I remembered seeing something on this site where it was stated that even though it's literally a paper thin sheet(s) of carbon/Kevlar, it is a real sheet and not a plastic decal and affects reception.

JayJayJay, you personally own the case and have had no issues though? Do you have the straight carbon fiber model or is it the blend?

5. JayJayJay macrumors member

I own the carbon one, not the carbon/kevlar one, cause I preferred the look of the carbon, and, I've not noticed any reception issues (unlike with some of my aluminum cases....even those that claim to not affect reception).

6. iggy913, Nov 21, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2011

iggy913 thread starter macrumors newbie