iPhone 4s: Case or no case?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by CitiXen, Oct 16, 2011.

?

Case or no case?

1. No case, films are enough

30 vote(s)
    34.5%
  2. Get a case (post link to suggestion below)

57 vote(s)
    65.5%
  1. CitiXen macrumors member

CitiXen

Picking up my white iPhone 4s shortly, and I have ordered a power support crystal film front and back. I am coming from a iPhone 3g with incase slider, and was thinking to go films only on the 4s. If I were to get a case it would have to be extremely low profile, any suggestions/links?. Any opinions on case or no case for the 4s?

2. blockburner28 macrumors 6502

blockburner28

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

Ask yourself this? After my first drop will it be better knowing I had a case or not?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SSaywLJdtVQ otterbox defender

3. djransom macrumors 68040

djransom

4. troop231 macrumors 603

Speck Candyshell at the moment until my Otterbox Commuter arrives. Using an SGP Ultra Crystal screen protector.

5. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

6. elaniemay macrumors 6502

elaniemay

Speck Candyshell while I wait for my Otterbox commuter. Also have a PhoneDevil screen protector on the front.

7. Freis968 macrumors 6502a

Freis968

The iPhone is so slippery and I keep it in my back pocket. I need a case so that it won't go flying out each time I retrieve it out.

8. iSaxon macrumors 6502a

iSaxon

No case (or screen protectors), don't want the extra bulk.

9. noTe on iPhone macrumors member

I bought a black scosche bumper for my white iPhone 4S.

I didn't want to cover the back of the phone but still wanted to protect it if it drops. So far I really like it.

10. chrislaw macrumors 6502a

chrislaw

Go to the accessories sub-forum and there are quite a few threads regarding the cases people are using with the new 4S. They include pictures, links and mini reviews.

11. adamvk macrumors 65816

adamvk

Incipio NGP case. Fantastic. High recommend. I got the translucent Mercury Grey variant, and I love it.

12. sjn419 macrumors regular

my iphone 4 was without case and screen protector for a while and it cracked from a drop and the screen had tiny scratches everywhere. now i have a case and screen cover. better to be safe

13. Godzilla71 macrumors 6502

Godzilla71

When I went to the apple store to get my iPhone 4S it was taking a while to get the info and set up to go through. The device kept hanging for some reason. One of the other employees or manager perhaps came up and apologized for the time it was taking and said I would like to buy you a case. He pointed to the wall of cases and said choose any case you'd like and I'll get you set up. They did not have any otter box cases so I chose a Speck Candy shell one. Very cool experience and it was awesome getting the free case. This was my first experience at an apple store (since it is still fairly new in my area) I am very satisfied with the experience. :) :cool: about 20 min later everything went through and the phone was activated. :D

14. Yumunum macrumors 65816

Yumunum

15. mrxak macrumors 68000

Drifting through space in a broken escape pod
    Can you use your iPhone 4S in the shower? I can.

For all of its dust/water protection and shock resistance, it's actually quite slim. It's really one of the better looking cases out there, I think.

There's a good write-up from a few people in the Accessories subforum, and I posted my own review there as well. The praise is not universal for the LifeProof cases, and I'll admit there are a couple things they could have done better. It has some glare on it (no different than naked glass, really), the volume buttons are a little stiff (I'm hoping they'll loosen up with use, I've only had it a couple days), and it is more expensive than a lot of other cases out there (I would argue it's worth it for the protection it offers, especially being waterproof) but other than that it's really an outstanding case.

16. pcmike macrumors regular

pcmike

17. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

18. mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

Just like I did for 16 months with my iPhone 4, except this time I don't have to worry about holding it carefully all the time to avoid losing signal. Win, win!

19. Violent_Noir macrumors newbie

I have exactly what you have (White 4S and I just put on my Power Support Crystal Set yesterday) and I'm loving it. The protectors with an iPod sock has been good enough for me. I bought a case, but didn't love it as much as I thought I would. However, I bought Applecare+ so I'm more concerned about scratches to the front, back and antenna than actual damage. If you don't plan on buying Applecare+ you should most definitely buy a case for it.

20. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

I got a cheapie case made by Philips, for $20 from Target. It is mostly clear but has some square designs on the back, which isn't bad by any means. It does protect the phone from small drops, which is what I am going for.

21. OMGbrandon macrumors 6502

OMGbrandon

22. zachimal macrumors member

Absolutely! I love the iPhone's design, thus I don't want to cover it up with a case. If I were prone to dropping things, perhaps I'd think otherwise, but I've never had any damage from my previous three iPhones and I just prefer them showing all their unencumbered beauty off. Also, I have a ProClip car mount designed for the naked iPhone only (saving me about $60 bucks since the 4S case remains the same as the 4).

So, prone to drops -> get a case. Not prone to drops -> don't get a case. That's my general rule, but some other circumstances may sway consideration. I keep my phone in a pocket with nothing else and avoid placing it on hard flat surfaces (that may have sand grains on them that would possibly scratch the screen).

23. americanGTA macrumors member

case,

Ive seen people drop the iphone MANY times........

i'd suggest a 3rd party one, maybe on ebay....