Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AppleMactablet

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 25, 2010
Original iPhone 4 Cases MAY NOT fit your new iPhone 4S-Read Why

The iPhone 4S from the photos Apple has posted on it's site is the verizon design-that means that the buttons and ringer switch have been moved down ever so slightly, So unfortunately like with the original iPhone 4 cases that could not fit the new button layout of the verizon iPhone 4- so NOT ALL iphone 4 cases will fit the iPhone 4S unless there universal or have a open side for the buttons/ringer not fitted for the orginal iPhone 4 design.

Information Link
Verizon vs ATT (iPhone 4)
http://www.engadget.com/photos/verizon-iphone-4-hands-on/#3774367

Apple iPhone 4S
http://www.apple.com/iphone/features/

Zepaw

macrumors 65816
Apr 18, 2010
MN
Few cases will have this issue but it is something to be aware of. If it has volume buttons it is probably an issue but those with cutouts should be fine.

The Vz iPhone has been out long enough that most cases are universal. More cost effective anyway.

AreYouIn?

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2009
I just bought a 4s case from speck. I trust it. I did however order some cheap protectors from eBay that i realized may not fit the back if there is a bigger camera opening.

sawah

macrumors 65816
Sep 13, 2010
My mom is going to be buying the 8 gig iPhone 4. Did they redesign the antenna for this one or does the at&t version still have the same button placement? Or do I need to buy a case for the cdma/4s version?

CrAkD

macrumors 68040
Feb 15, 2010
Boston, MA
My mom is going to be buying the 8 gig iPhone 4. Did they redesign the antenna for this one or does the at&t version still have the same button placement? Or do I need to buy a case for the cdma/4s version?

its a world phone for sprint att and verizon so i would bet itll be the redesigned one.

AppleMactablet

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 25, 2010
I personally just bought a case from Incipio-I spoke a women but she wasnt sure, both photos from the 4S cases and 4 were exact images on there site, so am hoping that the case I order with faster shipping was made for the new phone

sawah

macrumors 65816
Sep 13, 2010
Where did you read that the new iPhone 4 8gig is a world phone? It lists two seperate models on the apple page, so I assume only the 4s is a world phone?

LagFighter

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2010
Nashville, TN
Original iPhone 4 Cases MAY NOT fit your new iPhone 4S-Read Why

The iPhone 4S from the photos Apple has posted on it's site is the verizon design-that means that the buttons and ringer switch have been moved down ever so slightly, So unfortunately like with the original iPhone 4 cases that could not fit the new button layout of the verizon iPhone 4- so NOT ALL iphone 4 cases will fit the iPhone 4S unless there universal or have a open side for the buttons/ringer not fitted for the orginal iPhone 4 design.

Information Link
Verizon vs ATT (iPhone 4)
http://www.engadget.com/photos/verizon-iphone-4-hands-on/#3774367

Apple iPhone 4S
http://www.apple.com/iphone/features/

Do we even know that the Verizon cases will fit on 4S? People are speculating that the camera lens and flash are bigger.

haticK

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2011
New York
Do we even know that the Verizon cases will fit on 4S? People are speculating that the camera lens and flash are bigger.

someone called apple and asked and they said its all the same size. they didnt increase the lens, they increased the size of the opening to let in more light.

iBreatheApple

macrumors 68030
Sep 3, 2011
Florida
I don't buy it. Check the attached picture.

On a separate but somewhat related note, how is it possible that the bumpers fit ATT AND Verizon when the buttons are moved slightly.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2011-10-07 at 8.47.23 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2011-10-07 at 8.47.23 PM.png
    72.2 KB · Views: 66

lorax3

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2007

On a separate but somewhat related note, how is it possible that the bumpers fit ATT AND Verizon when the buttons are moved slightly.

They is a secondary bumper design that allows both types of phones to fit. The botton and volume button opening are set and slightly elongated so they function with either design.

If you want a cheap bumper off ebay make sure they say it is the Verizion model, or will fit both. Bumpers that say "AT&T Only" will not fit exactly.

bndoarn

macrumors 6502a
Mar 16, 2008

https://www.macrumors.com/2011/01/21/apple-preps-for-verizon-iphone-launch-with-new-bumpers-vacation-blackouts/

The slot of the silent switch is elongated to fit both. The volume buttons are in the same position on both, I believe. I think only the silent switch was slightly moved down.

Truckondo

macrumors 6502
Jun 4, 2009
I personally just bought a case from Incipio-I spoke a women but she wasnt sure, both photos from the 4S cases and 4 were exact images on there site, so am hoping that the case I order with faster shipping was made for the new phone

I got my Feathers from Incipio yesterday for me and my wife's iPhone 4s's. I currently have the Feather on my iPhone 4. The actual packaging from Incipio says "For New iPhone 4". Nothing about the "S". I did notice that the new Feather case is a little more round on the sides and that the side line up to the top of the glass. The old one left a little bit of the glass on the side exposed. If anyone wants pics let me know.

aneftp

macrumors 601
Jul 28, 2007

AppleMactablet

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 25, 2010
I got my Feathers from Incipio yesterday for me and my wife's iPhone 4s's. I currently have the Feather on my iPhone 4. The actual packaging from Incipio says "For New iPhone 4". Nothing about the "S". I did notice that the new Feather case is a little more round on the sides and that the side line up to the top of the glass. The old one left a little bit of the glass on the side exposed. If anyone wants pics let me know.

They now have a section for iPhone 4S-thats where I ordered from

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.