iphone 4s claims 4g speed?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by pastelsoda, Oct 16, 2011.

1. pastelsoda macrumors member

Hello, first time iPhone owner, anybody getting near 4g speed on there 4s? like apple said it would?

according to Gizmodo, 4g phones were 1000% faster browsing speed than the iPhone 4s

http://gizmodo.com/5849953/iphone-4s-test-notes-data-speeds-wow-its-slow

Little bit sad to know that my iPhone gets 1.8mbps, while my friends bionic gets around 10mbps in this area.

Im from bay area if that matters

Siri makes me :D while internet speed makes me :( = :I

= not too satisfied

2. tourada macrumors regular

Apple said 'theoretical' speeds that matched that of what most would call '4G'. Of course, that is dependent on your carrier, your location, and the traffic on the network. AT&T is the only carrier that could 'theoretically' match the so-called 4G speed of 14.4 mbps with the iPhone 4s.

3. pastelsoda thread starter macrumors member

so for a none-att owners, would 4g be a better choice on internet wise than the 4s?

I really like the 4s, being android owner for all this time, I think iPhone 4s is great, I love the siri, specially the web browsing, youtube search, and the gps.

Just the speed is making me think twice currently :(

4. sweetbrat macrumors 65816

sweetbrat

It's funny that Gizmodo is saying that the speed is best on Sprint, when most people posting in the forums have been complaining about Sprint. Anyways, there's so much more to it than what the phone can handle. People expecting that they'll get 4G speeds just because that's what the iPhone is capable of will likely be sorely disappointed.

And by the way, I wouldn't read too much into an article from Gizmodo when it comes to Apple. They're not exactly impartial.

5. phearx macrumors regular

I'm getting 7-10 mbps at my house consistently. NYC :cool:

6. Kadman macrumors 65816

Kadman

The AT&T data network in my area has slowed to a crawl in the past couple of days, very likely because of all the traffic from the iPhone launch. With my 4 I used to regularly get 3-5 down and 2 up, but yesterday it was getting about .3 down and about .15 up.

7. tourada macrumors regular

Well, if it is any consolation, 4G speeds come with a price....they drain the battery very fast! Think of battery life as another perk! :D

8. jgalan14 macrumors 6502

Wow I would like to live in there area since it looks like sprint has the best service lol, anyways I have sprint and usually get .80 to 1.9mbps and even tho it doesn't look as fast as my Friend on AT&T but I'm able to play pandora and Netflix not problem so I'm good , I think HSPA+ could be great but I guess is too much money involve , I would like the next iPhone to have lte tho , since probably sprint AT&T and Verizon will have it next year(well Verizon have it already and AT&T I think got 5 cities so far )