iPhone 4S colour change

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by normanbates, Apr 19, 2012.

1. normanbates macrumors regular

I'm planning on changing the colour of my iPhone 4S from White to Red (including the mid frame). Anyone done anything like this before?

2. dwa2011 macrumors regular

dwa2011

heres a place to buy... they had good service with me when I got another case

eachsupplier

3. mrjones19 macrumors newbie

Apple does not produce the iPhone 4 or 4S in any other colours apart from black and white. Please do not place an order if you feel that having non Apple OEM specification parts will spoil your experience. The LCD retina display is an original Apple OEM part.

The price that we advertise is in exchange of the original black parts.

If you feel confident, you can order all the above parts and fit them yourself and you get to keep the original parts from £59.00.

4. normanbates thread starter macrumors regular

What's included in the £59? is that just for the LCD or all in? I have found somewhere that I can get it all (including shipping) from Hong Kong

5. clarabein macrumors newbie

Sounds funky! Have you seen any that have been done? Does it look like you've got a fake iPhone?!

Does anyone know why iPhones are only made in white and black? Is there some corporate reason?

6. white4s macrumors 65816

i'm switching to a mirror blue one next week. $50 shipped from hong kong

black and whites so played out :D

7. echos macrumors newbie

you can easily change the back glass. there are tons of aluminum back piece out there on ebay and amazon. the front glass is a little difficult, since the LCD is attached to it. If you change it, you have to use a crappy third party LCD.

8. white4s macrumors 65816

and you know its crap how.........?

i never read one negative review on any color conversion kit

9. pocky macrumors regular

I have converted a few before on the 4. The LCD will almost indefinitely be on the yellow hue side vs blue.

Thinking of doing it on my 4S since I chipped the frame.

10. egk69 macrumors 6502

To the OP

I've done it to my 4S four times already ( it was White, convert it to Green, then back to white cause I broke it, then change it to Yellow and just recently I changed to Red w/ Blue home button, waiting on a blue chassis to complete the look...) Its not hard at all, parts run for about 60-80$ depending colors and where you buy them...

About the quality, I can tell you the only thing that is "bad" about it, is that the screens dont have the "Oleophobic Coat" (or how ever that's spelled) so your finger prints and dirt are harder to clean. Retina Displays are exactly the same. I dont know If they use "Gorilla Glass" on this "knock off" parts but if you at least have a Bumper you will be ok. I've purposely thrown my 4S to the floor at least a dozen times, plus the times that it just fells from my slippery hands by accident and I havent broke it yet...

11. BrassPro macrumors newbie

12. App King macrumors member

I know you can buy a housing which will cost around $40 or so.

13. cjgonzales1900 macrumors regular

Really, you must not have looked very hard. I work on iPhones here in my town, the colors have a lot of defective parts so if you are planning on changing the screen your self be sure to make sure you have enough time about 1-3 Hours depending on your skill level to did it and maybe even have to redue it and put on your old screen.

14. samad120 macrumors newbie

I completely agree on this. Me my self, I am not a pro fixer. Not to mention I have done a lot of laptop fixings but these smal parts are actually much more difficult.

Here is my story:

I bought a LCD + digitizer (Black), I replaced it with my broken one. Did not notice that it does effect if the asembly part is apple manufactured or a pice of junk from Any factory in China. While I was fixing it I broke a flex cable for volume button and silen button, I also damaged the entena.

I thought that is fine lets order those parts, and so got them in my mail box in 10 days.

After a week I could see that my display is falling apart from the frame, so I just did not bother I thought it is just a bit loose.

Thereafter a month I just swyped my finger and "SHAZAM", my 1 month old LCD was broken.

The LCD + digitizer was 25 dollars

The antenna + loud speakers were 17 dollars.

The volume button audio jack, silent button flex cable was 6 dollars.

Tools were 6 dollars.

And plus I lost some screws so I bought them they were 3 dollars.

This = 57 dollars.
    Now I bought some highly reviewed Apple manufactured cheap back housing and LCD screen + digitizer for 44 dollars.

My costs all together went abou to 101 $.

15. samad120 macrumors newbie

Make sure it is apple manufactured, not any junk from China! :)

----------

Believe me if you did change it be careful ! :)

16. traumuhhtize macrumors member

17. Digidesign macrumors 6502

Is it possible to buy the official Apple OEM front housing + LCD anywhere? Seems like stores online only carry the China knockoffs.

18. SmithErick macrumors member

You'll regret the knockoffs, I had one with a yellowish tint at the top.

19. Star896 macrumors newbie

Eachsupplier is a great site, I have used it many times all the conversion kits are perfect ..

20. white4s macrumors 65816

2 months later and my blue iphone has zero issues, looks and works OEM

and to whoever who did not have a personal bad experience with a color kit you need to keep quiet

----------

my knockoff still looks brand new with no "yellow" tint months later

21. hilaile macrumors newbie

hilaile

No. However, I am looking forward to see your new color iphone!

22. seanpercival01 macrumors member

23. Cristinalynan macrumors newbie

Is this kind of LCD work well as the original LCD? One year ago, I send my iphone for repairing and was told the replaced LCD will not good as orignial one. Furthermore the LCD is without any guarantee.

If anyone have this experience, please share. Thanks. :)