iPhone 4S comes with screen protector?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by JustinBW, Nov 1, 2011.

1. JustinBW macrumors member

Just unboxed my new 4s.

I peeled off the plastic coverings (with no holes for the ear speaker and home button) form both sides.

I am noticing what appears to be yet another plastic screen cover (with holes for the home button and ear speaker) under the original covering.

There was no other screen protector on my old iphone and I am wondering if everyone got these with their 4s iphones.

So do the new 4s iphone comes with some sort of front and back screen protector (apart from the plastic covering they ship with)?

Thanks

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

They ship with one, with no holes. It is not a screen protector.

3. dotme macrumors 6502a

No, that's not normal. Your box was sealed I assume?

4. JustinBW thread starter macrumors member

I am not sure what you mean by this. As my original post says, I know that the devices are covered in a plastic that you peel off when you get it (it has no holes). But this is something UNDER that.

Yeah everything was sealed. I called apple to ask if this was new and the agent said it should have one on it.

There are also two small scratches on the phone...

I think I am going to take a trip to the apple store tomorrow. I called the agent right after I unboxed the phone and he said he made a note about the scratches.

I am really curious about this plastic on my phone though;I doubt this could be a returned phone, they are so new and in such high demand...

My brother ordered a new phone as well; we are on a family plan and for some reason I got mine and he did not get his; they were ordered at the same time.

Wish we got them at the same time so I could possibly save a trip to the apple store and see if I am mad or not.

5. JustinBW thread starter macrumors member

Ok so the 3gs camera sucks; but I did the best I could with what I had.

Scratch: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1885149/iphone/scratch.JPG

It is not the biggest scratch in the world and the photo makes it looks better than it is; but it is still scratch on a new iphone. There is another one of the opposite side. They are small, but still scratches.

Screen Protector: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1885149/iphone/sp01.JPG

This is really hard to see, being as the 3gs camera blows and the screen protector is clear. But what the arrow is pointing to is the spot where the cover ends. It looks slightly darker. I can put my fingernail in there and I think I can peel it off if I tried.

best I could do with the camera I have.

6. dotme macrumors 6502a

Oh it's a white iPhone. I have no experience there. Could it be a special coating that only white ones have maybe?

7. PPFee macrumors 6502

Any chance your talking about the white "ring" that goes around the glass on both the front and back( or black on the black models) you might think its glass but its actually a plastic ring that goes around the brim of the glass front and back. I think the visual effect is causing some confusion possibly.

8. JustinBW thread starter macrumors member

I went to the apple store today to ask about what was looking to me to be a screen protector. I also checked out their other white iphones. The guy in the store said it was just a 'coating.' All the other white iphones had it, so there was nothing special about mine.

The thing that confused me was that the coating didn't cover the whole surface and left a mm or so of space between the coating and the raised plastic ring you speak of.

Anyway, long story short it is nothing.

They offered me a refurbished 4s since mine had a scratch. I was surprised refurbs were already there but I didn't take it. The scratch is really small; they said if I change my mind I could go back or call att.

Thanks for all the help!