Iphone 4s constantly downloading data!help!!

Discussion in 'iOS 5 and earlier' started by hambo, Nov 30, 2011.

1. hambo, Nov 30, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2011

hambo macrumors newbie

Sep 17, 2007
    Okay so since the 24th of november i noticed a massive increase of data usage on my phone which in turn decreases my battery life dramatically. (with data

I asked my service provider o2 uk to see why this was they told me it must me me downloading or an app running in the background i assured them not. They said they will run a test on the network to find a fault, they found nothing.

Apple switched the phone with a brand new one and it still has the same problem.

Running 5.0.2
    I have deleted all apps off the phone
    i have deleted all mail accounts
    Siri is switched off
    Diagnostics and usage is set to do not send
    No Notifications running
    no location services
    no iCloud

I've have a video to show the problem
    If anyone has any ideas let me know thanks

2. Ashwood11 macrumors 65816

Nov 10, 2010
    Current software version is 5.0.1. You indicate your on 5.0.2?
  3. Bootleg2go macrumors newbie

Nov 10, 2011
    Try going into location services and at the very bottom is a menu called "system services", turn everything in this to the off position. They may still be on even when the location services is set to off.
    Also do a hard reset of the phone, I noticed in your video that your usage was like 13 hours and the standby time was the same, this shouldn't be.

I know if the "cell network search" in the system services menu is on, you will see the cell data usage go up by a small amount every time you check the usage, mine would go up anywhere from from 3 to 5k every time I checked usage.

also turn off "ping" in the restrictions menu.
  4. Risco macrumors 68000

Jul 22, 2010
    United Kingdom
  5. guyana1 macrumors newbie

Feb 11, 2017
    hi did you find a way to fix it ? i have the same problem now, help please