Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

puma1552

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 20, 2008
All of a sudden today, I noticed that just gently squeezing the front and back sides of the phone together creates a little popping/cracking sound, like you would get when something flexes back and forth. Phone works fine, and it takes very little pressure to replicate the sound, and it happens across pretty much a large middle portion of the phone (just not near the edges).

Anyone else experience this? I don't plan on replacing the phone, but I would hate to pull it out of my pocket one day and find that for some freak reason the front or back was all cracked.

MattMJB0188

macrumors 68020
Dec 28, 2009
All of a sudden today, I noticed that just gently squeezing the front and back sides of the phone together creates a little popping/cracking sound, like you would get when something flexes back and forth. Phone works fine, and it takes very little pressure to replicate the sound, and it happens across pretty much a large middle portion of the phone (just not near the edges).

Anyone else experience this? I don't plan on replacing the phone, but I would hate to pull it out of my pocket one day and find that for some freak reason the front or back was all cracked.

Avoid squeezing the phone? No really!!!

MattMJB0188

macrumors 68020
Dec 28, 2009
Well considering just picking up the phone is enough to do it...:rolleyes:

Well then obviously something is going on and if your not willing to exchange it you'll have to live with it. I'm thinking this just really bad OCD?

Rami98

macrumors member
Nov 6, 2011
Detroit, MI
Mine does that too. Mine has multiple problems (camera cushion square thing coming loose, back creaking/cracking, and this area on the screen that is slightly brighter than the rest.). It happens with very light touches but after a while, it only happens rarely. But since I am going to get my camera fixed tomorrow, i might as we'll ask the Geniuses about it. I would also suggest you to go to apple because they will either tighten the back, switch the back, or completely replace the phone.

k3roro

macrumors 6502
Aug 28, 2010
Hmm, it should really feel like one sturdy piece. My creaked for a little bit and then it stopped, if this is any consolation.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
I hear a slight creak near the back top right corner, where the camera is.

Don't like it, but, gonna live with it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.