iPhone 4S Crashing

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by pac1928, Feb 22, 2012.

1. pac1928 macrumors newbie

pac1928

I'm on my 3rd iPhone from Apple (provider - Verizon) since the 4S came out and I've had one issue with all three: the phone shutting down. I've had at least 6 techs troubleshoot, it's be replaced 3 times (the latest being last night), yet I'm still having the same issue.

It's been restored to factory settings (as new), they updated the software, wiped the firmware (I think), they've had me refrain from re-adding my apps and instead load them one-by-one with a day in between, I've stopped pulling things from iCloud and my iTunes, etc. I really don't know what else to do.

After reading the forums, I checked out the diagnostics and usage to find a string of panics.

Could this be due to the computer I'm using? Am I pulling a bug from the mac or iTunes account?

The Apple tech from last night said that I might just be extremely unlucky and have picked up three phones with the same defect but I refuse to believe that to be the case. Any insight would be appreciated...

2. Leonard1818 macrumors 68020

I'm with you. You haven't picked 3 phones that have all behaved the same. It's something else in the chain that's causing it. They were on the right track with having you install an app, wait a day, install an app, wait a day but there are so many other variables out there to test.

Interesting you mention the actual computer you're syncing with. Do you have another computer that you can try? Can you set up the phone without connecting it to the computer and use it for a day and see if it crashes? You need to define every variable in the equation and test each one individually (independent of the others).

It's probably NOT the phone but probably is something that the machine/iphone app/itunes/etc. is doing to the phone.

good luck!

3. pac1928 thread starter macrumors newbie

pac1928

Thanks Leonard. I agree that it can't be the phone. I'm syncing it up to my work Mac which is quite old and has been used by several different users - I have a feeling that it could be this machine. However, when I mentioned that to the Apple tech, he said that he didn't think that would be the issue and that it was more likely something with the firmware in the phone; like you, I'm leaning more towards it being the computer I'm syncing with. Thanks for your input.