iPhone 4S Distortion from earpiece speaker

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by WassHammoud, Oct 26, 2011.

1. WassHammoud macrumors newbie

I've experienced most of iPhone's accidental issues (water damage, cracked screen, stuck in dfu, etc) but I've never seen anything like this before.

I'm pretty sure this has something to do with me always using my iPhone while my hands are wet (stupid, I know).

Anyways, while on any given call or app that plays sound through the earpiece on the iPhone, a crackling, crush, distortion sound is added. The sound is perfect on speaker or BT headset, just not earpiece.

has anyone seen/heard of this before? At first it was agreeable, now its just annoying to talk on the phone (even your voice is heard distorted)

2. shadedred macrumors member

I had it on my 4S, tried living with it for a week - as I didn't want to return it. It was a noticeable "rattle" or "vibration" noise during normal use, more noticeable during calls with higher pitched voices (such as the wife). I use a 3GS for work, and to test whether I was going nuts or not, I tried it on my wife's 4S, sure enough no strange "rattling" from either phone. It certainly sounds like a trivial thing to exchange the phone for, but it got too annoying for me. It's almost difficult to explain the noise, sounded like a blown speaker, or as if there was something loose near the ear speaker.

3. iCheese macrumors regular

I have this exact same issue. I want to eventually exchange my phone for one that doesn't have this problem, but my current phone has a perfect screen, perfect everything else. It is kind of frustrating, as this phone is already a replacement of my original phone.

4. SongbirdOcarina macrumors newbie

4s Speaker issue

I have a similar problem. I am building a musical instrument app, and I notice significant distortion on the 4s compared to the 4, even when I lower the volume on the 4s. Is the speaker blown? Or does the 4s use a different speaker, to achieve more volume, but at the cost of clarity? The distortion is most notable in the 440 - 700hz range, which is right in the middle of my instrument's range. I am trying to figure out what to do about it. It's a high pitch white noise wispy sound. I tried cutting the high frequencies on the tones, but that didn't help. I am going to the genius bar tomorrow to test on a couple different 4s to see if my particular speaker has issues or if it is the 4s in general, with a louder but inferior quality speaker.

5. ChrisWard1994 macrumors member

ChrisWard1994

When i recieved my 4S my earpiece didnt work at all

6. iToNe24 macrumors regular

Having same issue on my iPhone 4s. I have the insurance with apple but I am guessing there is no repair and they would have to replace the whole phone? I would also have to restore phone and remove jailbreak prior to bringing it in to apple correct? If I do that, I can kiss the JB goodbye since iOS 6 hasn't been JB on a5 chips yet, like iPhone 4s. Decisionssss