iPhone 4S - dropped and now shows.....

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by rsted222, Aug 28, 2013.

1. rsted222 macrumors regular

dark screen (sometimes gray up/dwon streaks and has grayish stripe at the top.

It works using Siri, but I can't see anything.

Any ideas. I'm almost at 2 years, so I could probably update, but I was holding out for new one.

2. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Uhmm…you broke the LCD when you dropped it and now the LCD doesn't work anymore?

3. rsted222 thread starter macrumors regular

that sounds bad

4. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Possible you dislodged some sort of connector to the LCD which might cause this, but it amounts to the same thing.

5. rsted222 thread starter macrumors regular

I guess I'll get the 5 and maybe Apple will let me switch to the new 5S since it's so close to launch

6. Bear macrumors G3

It's $199 for Apple's out of warranty service for a 4S. IF you do that, you will most likely make that money back by selling your 4S phone when you do upgrade.

You can't guarantee that. Apple's official return policy for most things is 14 days. It'll be more than 14 days by the time the new iPhone ships.

7. nilzi, Aug 28, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2013

nilzi macrumors regular

If your iPhone display nothing, I can judge that the LCD display screen or its cable ribbon was damaged. So you need to replace the lcd if you want repair the phone, or just buy a new one.

8. eljanitor macrumors 6502

eljanitor

Yep you could have damaged one of, or just many things. So hard to tell without taking it in and letting a technician see what it is. The connectors on the phone are generally hard to dislodge without some kind of excessive force ( like throwing it against the wall in a fit of anger), which will usually crack the screen. As long as it's just the screen, or screen assembly you can get it repaired at many places, and you can even have the color changed from Black or White to all kinds of colors, patterns etc. (like the picture attached to this reply)

You can get it repaired for under $199 at a good repair shop instead of paying $199 at Apple. Apple also does this thing when you bring in your damaged Apple products, it's called voiding your Applecare ( if you paid for it). So if you want the new iPhone 5 then trade up its around $200 with some carriers. If you want to fix it. I'd say you can get it repaired from $100- $160 depending on where you decide to get it fixed at.

Good luck.

Attached Files:

9. iRepairParts macrumors regular

iRepairParts

As the above poster said, it is somewhat difficult to dislodge the cables as they are very "snug" to the logic board. From what you're saying, it sounds like the LCD is broken.

If you are confident and have the patience to do the repair yourself, you can save a good chunk of money. Or you can go to a repair shop (make sure they are reputable and carry a good warranty), and get the repair done for around $100. Also, a replacement is another option.

Best of luck!