Iphone 4S Early ETF or Cancel?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by bursthead, Oct 7, 2011.

1. bursthead macrumors 6502

bursthead

I wanted to purchase an iphone 4S out of contract. I have been reading and reading.. And wondered if anyone else is doing something similar, instead of having to wait till Nov or paying an horrendous early upgrade fee..

Is it a good option to add a line to my existing account and cancel within the first 3 days. So I can avoid paying the etf and month of service? Keep the phone. And only be charged and taxed on the full retail and un subsidized price of the iphone 4s?

I have been hearing different views on this process though. Some have said you are forced to return the phone back to ATT or apple if canceling within the first month?

Or is it a better option of keeping the service 54.99 cheapest including voice & data. Cancel after the 31st day.. Pay the the 299+ 18 activation +54.99 monthly service +325 etf and keep the phone?

2. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

Even if you cancel and keep the iPhone, I believe that it will still be locked for AT&T. Are you planning to still use AT&T services?

3. bursthead thread starter macrumors 6502

bursthead

Yes, im an old unlimited user.. So im stuck with att

4. cmoore49 macrumors regular

Why wouldn't you just wait a month and avoid all the ************
    I know you want the latest and greatest ASAP but come on

5. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Obviously you cant both keep the phone and not pay the ETF.
    Either way paying the early upgrade or the ETF you're still looking to spend $400-500

6. bursthead thread starter macrumors 6502

bursthead

i understand that.. I know I will be paying the unsubsidized price either way.. I'm just trying to figure out which is the most cost effective..

THe reason why i'm doing this because I just sold my ip4... And I will be out of a phone..

7. bpeeps macrumors 68020

bpeeps

Then use the money you gained from selling your iP4 and upgrade early. How many freaking cakes do you want!

8. truelies macrumors regular

If I want an unlocked iphone 4S, what's the best way I can do?

1. Regist in sprint or verizon, then cancel it withine 3 day.

total: 199+18(active)+350(cancel)=$542

Can I keep the phone, will they unlock it for me?

2. Cancel after 2 month usage

total: 199+18(active)+58*2+350(cancel)=$658

verizon will unlock it for after 2 months

9. chargit macrumors 6502a

chargit

I see alot of people buying upgrades on craigslist. they give the guy a couple hundred plus the cost of the upgrade