iphone 4S eating through data

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by bmat, Jan 24, 2012.

1. bmat macrumors 6502

In the past two days, as far as I can tell, my wife's iPhone has used 3.5 GB of data. She doesn't stream, download, use Siri. She basically e-mails. She's even on wifi at home and work.

Any suggestions on what to do to investigate this? I don't want to be paying $10 a day on this. I've closed all the apps, reset (and it still went through 700mb in several hours since that).

2. dotme macrumors 6502a

Well, you'll have to do more detective work, but here are a couple things to check...

iTunes match can eat bandwidth. So can, under some circumstances, sending diagnostics and usage back to Apple. I found that sometimes that data doesn't clear and gets bigger every day. I'm sure others will have other suggestions too.

3. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

Some site have report if you go to Settings > General > Usage > Reset Statistics fixes this issue. Try it to see if it does, Good Luck.

4. bmat thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks.

We don't use iTunes match, so that's not it. I had turned off sending data to apple for diagnostics, and it still went through nearly 900MB in half a day. iCloud is disabled. Gamecenter is not used. I've turned off location services for almost everything.

And we reset it to measure data usage.

It has to be something new, but I can't figure out what it is. I checked online data usage for the account, and for prior months the usage has been in the 200MB range, and this month, 15 days in, she's at 3.5GB and counting.

5. daooof macrumors regular

Download Onavo, not only does it shrink data usage, it will also tell you where you are using the data.

6. dotme macrumors 6502a

Email/Calendar/ActiveSync loop? Does she have an Exchange/ActiveSync account? The data usage is alarming... something's streaming almost constantly. Is the battery taking a big hit too?

If you've rebooted the phone and it starts right back up without any apps being opened, delete all activesync email accounts and calendars, or turn them off. See if that stops the flow.

7. theman510 macrumors 6502

I had a very similar situation. In the middle of the night, while I was sleeping AND on wi-fi, between midnight and 1am I was getting massive chunks of data usage. Some nights it reached over 500mb. Needless to say I blew past 2gb and got throttled seriously (grandfathered on the unlimited plan). For the last 20 days of my billing cycle it was pointless to use anything streaming or data intensive.

I learned that the phone turns off the wifi radio when the screen is locked in order to save battery. I'm jailbroken and discovered this app called KeepAwake in Cydia. It keeps the wifi going even when the screen is locked as long as it's turned on. I only plan on using this while I'm sleeping because it does put some strain on the battery but it's worth it IMO.

KeepAwake is in the iHaxer repo as it's the only place I could find it. It worked well last night, looking forward to monitoring my data usage as I keep using it. If you have any questions let me know