iPhone 4S Factory Unlocked Coming in November!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by aziatiklover, Oct 7, 2011.

1. aziatiklover macrumors 68030

aziatiklover

Like the title say I try to go and pre-order one for the wife and it says coming November. So I have to wait for a month CHALLENGE ACCEPTED! :D ;)

2. utl768 macrumors 6502

ppl actually waste money on a unlocked phone?

3. DeusInvictus7 macrumors 68020

Why is it a waste of money exactly?

Anyway, it sucks that the US has to wait an extra month for unlocked versions. Us in Canada got ours from the get go! Ordered my 64GB White 4S unlocked just a few minutes ago. :D

4. dialed1 macrumors 6502

dialed1

5. 100Teraflops macrumors 6502a

100Teraflops

Here's your prove......LOL

EDIT: Sorry for not cropping the photo people!

Attached Files:

6. KJmoon117 macrumors 6502a

Yes, I'm really sick of this "locking" concept.

Do you know if Canadian unlocked iPhone 4S work with GSM or even CDMA networks in the US or elsewhere? I'm afraid that Canada's phones could be region locked.

7. poundsan macrumors newbie

CAN't buy

i am trying to buy from canada store and ship it to my uncle house but they would not allow me to buy with US billing address . any idea ?

8. InternetDude08 macrumors regular

I just pre-ordered my unlocked 16GB white 4S. Sweet. Yeah, I'm in Canada. Yeah it was $649+tax. Pricey but I'm DONE with my 3G ;-)

9. moosquared macrumors regular

moosquared

Gaah!! I stayed up to pre-order the unlocked version as well. It'll be another month of waiting.. :(

I actually got my friend who used to live in Canada to order the iPhone 4 for me. It's factory unlocked. Black, 32GB. Sold it a few days ago for $750

It shouldn't be region lock (at least my iPhone 4 isn't) because it says you'll be able to use it with any GSM carriers anywhere.

10. 100Teraflops, Oct 7, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2011

100Teraflops macrumors 6502a

100Teraflops

The billing address might have to match the shipping address. At least that's what I read on at&t's website. Hope this helps!

EDIT: the credit card address as to match too! So, the billing, shipping, and credit card addresses must match.

11. FranksWildYears macrumors regular

You'll end up paying less if you buy an unlocked phone and then shop around for a tariff.

12. poundsan macrumors newbie

thanks .

13. 100Teraflops macrumors 6502a

100Teraflops

No problem!

14. daihard macrumors 6502a

daihard

It should. A co-worker has an unlocked 4 from Canada. He uses it with T-Mobile. I don't expect that to change with the 4S.

15. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

People actually waste time posting ignorant comments?

16. keigo macrumors regular

yes unlock phone allow you to use any GSM carrier. When you go oversea just purchase a prepaid sim card and pop it in and it work, no more expensive roaming charges to be paid.

Also there is warranty different. For lock and unlock phone.
    For lock phone you have to go back to your telco to exchange but unlock phone is an international warranty like the rest of the Mac product.

I do have a friend whom station to work oversea and during that period his phone die one him and he call Apple if he could get it replace oversea and Apple replied no. but offer a cheaper applecare for him instead so that when he got back home the applecare able to allow him to get his phone replace. But at the moment he can just use his iPhone as an expensive paper weight.

As for CDMA that one not sure, think should work the same.

17. daihard macrumors 6502a

daihard

Thanks for the info. I was going to wait until November for my own 4S anyway as that's when my account becomes eligible for a discounted upgrade. :)

18. aziatiklover thread starter macrumors 68030

aziatiklover

People travel if you know what I mean! We don't all just live in 1 same place for the rest of our life, and thank god I get lucky to travel a lot with my current job u mirin? :rolleyes:

19. illutionz macrumors 65816

I'm on the same boat as you =D a month of waiting...

I'll be using this time to buy those accessories from China that's usually take 2-3 weeks to arrive :D

----------

The Canadian unlocked iPhone 4S will work with any GSM provider in the US (AT&T or T-Mobile) and worldwide. Meaning you can literally pop any MicroSIM and get it to work with any GSM network. You cannot, however, walk to Verizon/Sprint store with your UNLOCKED phones and tell them to register your phone to their network (maybe you can if you know inside people but I don't :rolleyes:). This is the issue of CDMA network in the US and this is why I despise them.

Basically the CDMA capabilities only goes 1 way. If you purchase (with contract) the Sprint or Verizon version, your phone will be activated as CDMA and it can ROAM on GSM network worldwide. Mind you that you won't be able to just pop a Vodafone microsim from UK and expect it to work. What you have to do is to get the roaming plan from Sprint of Verizon... get THEIR microSIM, and pay arms & legs to roam with overseas GSM partner of Sprint/Verizon.

Below is a quote from the FAQ page:

20. aziatiklover thread starter macrumors 68030

aziatiklover

haha nice! As of for me the wife still have all her accessories from the iPhone 4! Only thing she is gonna do is buy more colorful cases. :cool: