iphone 4s fell, now it has tons of problems - Can I save it?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by artex1024, Oct 24, 2012.

1. artex1024 macrumors newbie

A couple weeks ago, my purse blew off the top of my car and my iphone 4s fell out. The screen cracked pretty badly, but I put tape on it, and it seemed to be working fine, except when I tried to power it off - it wouldn't do anything. You press the two buttons and nothing. Then, it started having intermittent signal issues. The other day, the ringer volume started freaking out. It would switch from "on" to vibrate over and over by itself. I eventually just put it on vibrate and left it that way. Yesterday, I picked it up and the signal area said "searching..." and I noticed that the date and time were wrong. I couldn't connect to the internet (it doesn't even recognize my wi-fi connection) or call or send texts. Then it shut down. If I plug it into the wall, it will boot up, but it boots to an unusable state. It says it's 6:00pm on January 1st and stays on the searching sign. When plugged in, it periodically reboots on its own. If I unplug it, it shuts down instantly. I've tried removing and reinstalling the sim card, but that didn't work. If I try to connect it to my computer to do a full restore, it shuts down as soon as I unplug it from the wall and won't power back up when plugged into the USB port, so the USB will work on an AC adapter, just not the computer. Is it done for, or is there a way to save it? There isn't an apple store anywhere near here to take it to have it looked at. I've only had it for a year and I'm assuming that dropping it voids the warranty.

2. KojiH macrumors 6502

Sounds like the damage is quite extensive. You could take it to one of those independent iPhone repair shops and see what they say. Or look for a used one on eBay.

But I have a feeling it may be better for you to drive to an Apple Store on a weekend and have them replace it. I know you said you don't live near one but it might be worth a weekend trip. They will replace it for $200 (it might be only $150 for the 4S replacement now). I would call ahead to make sure.

I swear by either the SquareTrade or AppleCare+ warranties for this exact reason. I cannot afford to be without a working cell phone due to my work and accidents do happen especially with an item as portable (and breakable) as a mobile phone. For this reason the small extra up-front cost for a accidental damage warranty is a no brainer. You may want to see if you would qualify for a warranty after you get your phone replaced.