iphone 4s flash for night pics

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by thinkadam, Feb 12, 2012.

1. thinkadam macrumors regular

All my pics at night have a white cloudy look to them.
    Is this normal from the flash..?
    Anyone else have this issue?

2. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

some possible causes:
    1. your case
    2. your finger is placed near camera flash and reflecting back

3. thinkadam thread starter macrumors regular

tried removing the case, maybe a bit better not much.
    i find using edit and auto enhance works better

4. og3og macrumors member

og3og

I found that my finger was causing the problem for me. If my hand was half way or higher up, it was blurry and washed out. Have to hold it near the bottom. I also have the white 4s, but in terms of that, I don't know if it makes a difference.

5. Jordan921 macrumors 68040

Jordan921

The iPhone doesn't really take good pics with flash

6. psonice macrumors 6502a

Did you remove the protective film from the back of the phone? Protective film + flash is a bad mixture.

7. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

DO you have a white iPhone. A friend of mine has one and he can't use flash due to this problem and he is on his second 4S.

8. PaulyD macrumors 6502

I also found this as well

9. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

I have the same issue and the answer is... condensation forms on the lens when the phone is removed from a humid, warm trouser pocket and exposed to the cold night air. Or at least that's what happens on my iPhone. On my phone the problem is acute because I have a JuicePack Air battery pack, so the lens is in a recessed part of the case where air currents cannot clear the condensation. The problem can be fixed by gentle wiping of the lens with a lent-free cloth.

10. thinkadam thread starter macrumors regular

11. cynics macrumors G4

Post a night pic.

Take the case off and make sure no part of your hand goes passed the lens. It's easy for the light to reflect off a case or your hand back at the lens.

12. chrislaw macrumors 6502a

chrislaw

Mine has definitely been from washout due to cases. My white 4S camera works very well sans case.

13. Wsnook macrumors newbie

Didnt know the case was the problem. Man I need a case to protect my phone.. I am going to get a 4S this weekend. What case should I choose?

14. TonyC28 macrumors 65816

TonyC28

My black 4S takes poor pictures in semi-low light as well. For example, in a bar with pretty low light I always get the cloudy look. What's weird is that if I turn off all the lights in a room and make it really dark and then take a picture it turns out pretty good. Obviously with the flash on for both situations. I've tried it with and without the case, same results.

15. chrislaw macrumors 6502a

chrislaw

Well my first case had a clear back plate which was the issue. The second case is white which seems to be the issue as it reflects off of the case since the cutout isn't very far from the flash. I image matte cases and dark colored ones wouldn't have the same issues.

16. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

My case is black matte and the issue still occurs- wiping condensation of the lens seems to help. Just sayin'

17. cynics macrumors G4

Most brand name cases have been updated to fix this issue. The otterbox commuter used to have two small holes one for the lens the other for the flash. Now it has one large one so the flash can't reflect off the case.

18. marktrop macrumors newbie

cloudy camera pictures

Mine is the case :( when I take the case off it works fine with the flash :)