iPhone 4S for Sprint and T-Mobile only?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Darthdingo, May 26, 2011.

1. Darthdingo macrumors 6502a

This rumor, is getting louder and louder. I am good friends with a district mngr for Sprint in a major city, he said there is a new high end smartphone coming to Sprint in June/July, and it is NOT the EVO-3D or Samsung Galaxy S2, but a very popular name brand, that is all he can say.

This guy has been spot on accurate with me the last two years on all Android Windows Mobile phone releases so far.

Well now I read this article;
    http://www.phonedog.com/2011/05/26/should-apple-launch-the-iphone-4s-for-sprint-and-t-mobile-only/

2. grantsdale macrumors 6502a

A new phone with new internals/features that wouldn't go to their LOYAL customers on the other carriers? Not a chance in hell. The Verizon iPhone 4 is the same as the AT&T iPhone 4, despite the tiny differences. Its hardware (besides the cellular chip) is the same. Why would a company as smart as Apple release a product on two services that their already paying customers are not on? Just to piss them off? Thats just dumb. Especially when T-Mo is going to be swallowed by AT&T within 18 months anyway.

0% chance of this happening. 0%.

Could they release the phone on all four major carriers? Yes, that is possible. But what you're saying is akin to them releasing a new MacBook and saying you can only purchase it if you've never used a Mac before. Not going to happen.

Just use some simple logic. It helps dispel terrible rumors.

3. Reach9 macrumors 68020

Reach9

I don't know what an iPhone 4S is, but i understand what people mean by an iPhone 5.

Also, no this isn't happening, if anything it will be released for Sprint and T-mobile, but since AT&T and T-mobile will be merging, it could/couldn't be a possibility.

4. Darthdingo thread starter macrumors 6502a

From what I heard, this 4S would come to Sprint and T-Mobile only, and they good and higher end iPhone5 going to everyone else.

5. pyro008 macrumors 6502

So now Apple is coming out with 2 phones in a ~3 month span?

6. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

Thank You random internet guy with no track record for letting us know of this super secret info from your good friend, a district manager for Sprint in a major city, I totally believe you.

I agree, this rumor is not going to happen.

7. nateo200 macrumors 68030

nateo200

Some of you guys really need to take an econ class...just throwing that out there....:eek::rolleyes:

8. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

Sounds like your Guy may be spot on again with another Windows phone

9. the.sheepdog macrumors regular

the.sheepdog

:D ouch! Now that's gotta hurt! :D

10. roflc0pter macrumors regular

Motorola Photon

End of thread...

11. Jordan921 macrumors 68040

Jordan921

Doubt it

12. Darthdingo thread starter macrumors 6502a

That's old news, we all know that the Atrix 4G is coming to Sprint, my rep said it was a big name phone, and not Android. And Windows Phone-Mango is not due out until Sept/Oct.

I can just see Steve Jobs wrapping up the his speech next month, and say..."Wait, there's one more thing I need to show you..." And out walks the CEO of Sprint with the new iPhone4S in his hand :)

13. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

let me tell you something.

district managers know NOTHING.

14. pyro008 macrumors 6502

Have you tried to apply logic to the question of why they would bring out a new but inferior iphone to 2 carriers 2 months before the iphone 5?

15. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

WWDC will be all about Mac OS X Lion and iOS 5

Apple always releases a Beta of the next OS to developers so that they can find and report bugs and to make sure that their Apps will still work with the next update, this process takes months.

-It makes no sense for Apple to announce new features at WWDC that won't be available for at least 2-3 months, and then announce and release a new phone running iOS 4.x for only 2 new carriers.

-It makes no sense to announce and release a new phone running a beta OS.

-It makes no sense to announce and release a new phone for Sprint and T-Mobile now, and then in 3 months when iOS 5 is ready, release another new phone for every carrier.

Just like pyro008 said, your idea lacks logic.

Regarding the iPhone, Apple has up until now released the next major OS along side new Hardware,
    WWDC will only see a beta of iOS 5 and possible a release date for Mac OS X Lion with plenty of on stage Demos from both Scott Forstall and Craig Federighi.

16. tekker macrumors regular

It's a 4G Dual-core phone by Motorola. "Photon 4G".

Don't get your hopes up.

17. dark-saito macrumors regular

Hopefully something happens with Sprint...

At least it's affordable. And unlimited. Can't really beat that.

18. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

19. Hueyfreeman macrumors regular

At this point in the race it will only benifit apple to release the iPhone on the other carriers.

Yes it will be the most popular phone on those carriers, but at the same time it will not be new contacts that is what t-mobile and sprint need. Offering the phone that every other carrier has will not help them. They need good pricing paired along side a killer hand set only on their net work.

20. macinnv macrumors regular

No iPhone will never come to T-Mobile & Sprint. T-Mobile with either be swallowed up by AT&T or the deal will won't go through and T-Mobile will be so far behind that they will be toast. Sprint isnt too far behind. Once the outcome for T-Mobile is forgotten in the consumer brain (ie 3 months) then Sprint will get bought out. Then 3 months after that everyone on this board will be whining about why their bill went up $10-15 a month with less options.

21. pyro008 macrumors 6502

Flawless logic.

22. Darthdingo thread starter macrumors 6502a

Sprint and T-Mobile combined have almost 100 million customers :eek: That's no drop in that hat, and either company is not going out of business anytime soon. ATT might not even get approved for the T-Mobile purchase.

It is a major win win for Apple to release the iPhone on T-Mobile and Sprint, why would they want to turn down a potential 100 million new iPhone buyers ? And it would also help Apple put a big dent in Android, currently T-Mobile and Sprint have some of the best Android devices on the market, throw in the iPhone5, and customers will think otherwise on their next Android phone, and a lot of them will choose Apple.

23. old-wiz macrumors G3

And once t-mobile is taken over by AT&T you can expect service to go down the tubes rapidly.

24. Hueyfreeman macrumors regular

@darkdingo

For the most part many of the people who have android phones will not switch. Even worst it could be like thousands of iphone 4 buyers on verizon. They buy them only to return them a week later for their old android phone. Many of them want the notification system or even the widgets. This for many buyers seemed like a downgrade from android to ios.