iPhone 4S: force mobile Safari to load mobile optimised website

Discussion in 'iOS 5 and earlier' started by Quotenfrau, Mar 20, 2012.

1. Quotenfrau macrumors 6502

Quotenfrau

Hi

Howto force mobile Safari to load mobile optimised website?

On my iPhone 4S most sites load the desktop optimised site.

2. Quotenfrau thread starter macrumors 6502

Quotenfrau

3. takeshi74 macrumors 601

It does by default unless you're jailbroken and using something like UA faker. If the site doesn't properly realize what device you're on despite how your device's browser identifies itself then there's little you can do. If you can find a direct URL/link to the mobile version then bookmark it.

Can you verify that the sites that load the desktop version on your 4s have a mobile version?

4. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

There's no standardised way to determine whether to show a "mobile site" (because the standards do not think such a concept should exist).

There are ways to detect a mobile device, but they're not always reliable and it's entirely up to the site developer how that is implemented.

I find it surprising that an iPhone 4S wouldn't be detected though (assuming that the site attempts to automatically switch to a mobile site in the first place).

5. elistan macrumors 6502a

I have the opposite issue. Some websites only show up as the WAP version (with vastly reduced functionality) and I cannot force it to the desktop version. :(