iPhone 4S Freezing

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by xeroxrk, Oct 28, 2011.

1. xeroxrk macrumors newbie

Hello,

I have a 64GB 4S. I'm using about 40GB of the phones memory with photos and music. The camera and photo roll is constantly freezing. When i take a pic and go to the camera roll it freezes for 5 to 15 seconds. Or when i do a screen shot, the camera roll freezes.

Apple sent me a replacement phone and i get the same thing. I did restore and even setup the phone as new (not restore from backup). It seems to me that once the memory starts to fill up past 1/2 way this happens more and more.
    Any Help is appreciated.

2. nwmtnbiker macrumors 68000

nwmtnbiker

Do you have your pictures organized in folders? Or do you have 30,000 photos in 1 folder?

3. xeroxrk thread starter macrumors newbie

They're organized. I'm syncing with a mac, so it syncs very clean with iPhoto.

4. nwmtnbiker macrumors 68000

nwmtnbiker

I have the 64gb with about 33gb used up. I have noticed no lag. Opening camera takes about 1 second and opening camera roll less than 2 seconds, opening from camera app.

I also syncing with a mac. Only other thing is I'm not using iCloud at all. Even went under setting and deleted account. Try to disable it for a few and see if it improves. LOL I dunno...

5. hardcom macrumors newbie

Same here I have the 64gb with about 35gb in use mostly videos and photo's mine does exactly the same freezes upon opening of camera roll also when editing a photo or deleting a photo. I've tried all the other forums and it is not an isolated incident hope Apple come up with a fix soon it's spoiling my enjoyment of an otherwise perfect product.

6. macingman macrumors 68020

macingman

Have you tried clearing out the apps in your multitasking tray?

7. xeroxrk thread starter macrumors newbie

I've tried almost everything at this point. I currently have reduced the amount of music and photos on the phone to about 25GB. It seems to be intermittent now.

I do hope they fix it as well. At this point, my iPhone 4 32GB worked better than the 64GB 4s. And I now have LESS stuff on the new phone!

8. jhatzis99 macrumors newbie

Freezing during text entry

I have a similar issue. I have a 32gb 4s. I have noticed random freezes usually when I open an app that uses text entry, such as imessage, google voice, notes, etc. I remedy the issue by resetting phone, but really this should not happen right?? Any suggestions?

9. Jjlsongbird macrumors newbie

4S Freezing

I have had a problem with my 64 gb 4S freezing up. It happens when I am not using the phone. I pick it up to use and it appears totally dead. The first three times it happened I thought the battery was drained since I'd heard about battery problems. I plugged the phone into my computer and in 4 hours it turned on again.

When I called support, I had a long talk with a helpful person who said it was freezing. That made sense. Once I realized it wasn't dead, I realized I could force it to restart. Much better than waiting 4 hours!

He recommended that I close some apps in my multitasking tray and some of the open web pages (I had 8 open.) I did that. He also said that sometimes new apps can create problems, but I didn't have any that I could identify as a possible problem. Well, it froze again a few days later.

I had set up the phone by restoring from my old phone (with iOS4). He told me that could also cause a problem. If it keeps happening, I may reset the phone and start over, although it sounds like some people here still had the problem even though they set it up as new.

I have a friend who had the same problem and was sent a new phone. She has had no problem with the new one, but she isn't sure if she restored it or set it up as new.

10. xeroxrk thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm STILL having the same issue. I've tried setting the phone up as new, and restoring. It seems once i get to about 16GB or more of data (mostly music and pics) on the phone the issue comes back. No help from Apple at this point. I've had two phones.

Hopefully enough people will complain about it, they'll find a fix and push it out to us. If anyone else finds a fix, please post it.

11. xeroxrk thread starter macrumors newbie

Still having the same issues. Anyone else come up with a solution yet?

12. kojach macrumors newbie

Same problem - assuming memory management issue

My girlfriend and I both have the same problem... we both have the 4S - her with the 16Gb and me with the 64Gb.

She is very heavy with the camera use and has been experiencing this for a while, whereas I'm lighter on camera use and due to my larger 64Gb I was not having the problem until recently.

I'm assuming this is a memory management issue with photos/videos.

Can anyone else comment / anyone else aware of how to resolve it?

Hopefully Apple is aware and there's a fix in the near future.

Reading above it seems a phone replacement had no effect.

Note: 'Clearing out the multitasking tray' will have no effect. Like the iPad these are just icons representing your recently used apps. It's not like in your desktop OS (Windows or OSX) where you have active applications running in the background and taking up CPU/memory.