Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thatoneguy82

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2008
Beach Cities, CA
Isn't this the same as as the camera re-focusing on a certain area in its view field? Mine does that to the front and back cameras. Or are you guys talking about something else?

joyce883

macrumors newbie
Dec 21, 2011
To be honest it sounds like you didnt stand your ground. When he was talking about the rear camera you should have immediately corrected him. It sounds like you let him do all the talking and then just left with your tail between your legs. You are the customer!

I corrected him on everything then he was like there's nothing to write as case problem. Then he insisted that the phone was just adjusting that's why it's that way. I'll come back to apple and find more evidences on this faulty cam. This is not consistent that's why when I came over and he took a look nothing was there for him to see since it was just tested inside the store. I won't stop till I get this fixed. Thanks for reply

----------

Isn't this the same as as the camera re-focusing on a certain area in its view field? Mine does that to the front and back cameras. Or are you guys talking about something else?

Yes we have the same issue. Was your fon got fixed?

----------

----------

I have the exact same issue and is documented on this video here. (skip to 2:40 onwards)

Yes i watched your vid and i was like whoa that's exactly what's happening on mine. What did you do did u get it replaced?

Last edited:

ericinboston

macrumors 68020
Jan 13, 2008
Has anyone gotten any word FROM APPLE that this is a bug in software or defective hardware...or some other reason/excuse? This topic has been discussed on numerous boards by numerous people.

I have had this issue since the day I got my 4S (day it was released) but I rarely use FT...so I thought for awhile it was just a fluke. But now it's no longer 10% of my calls, it's more like 50% or higher.

Extremely annoying.

dotme

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2011
Iowa
I didn't see a genius. I called AppleCare. They replaced my iPhone and the replacement works great.

With my issue, it was very easy to reproduce it. If I'd had to show it to an Apple rep, I could make it freeze, flicker and crash on demand. All it took was rapid light changes - I could put my phone under strong light, and use cardboard to repeatedly cover and uncover the front lens quickly. Within 30 seconds, it would turn purple, black, flicker, and then the camera app would just close.

For those having trouble convincing a genius, pick up the phone and call Apple. Or ask for a manager at the store. Yes, it will help if you can make it crash and flicker while you're there. If they say it's normal, do the same thing to a display unit to demonstrate that it's not normal.

SilentLoner

macrumors 65816
Dec 29, 2007
I didn't see a genius. I called AppleCare. They replaced my iPhone and the replacement works great.

With my issue, it was very easy to reproduce it. If I'd had to show it to an Apple rep, I could make it freeze, flicker and crash on demand. All it took was rapid light changes - I could put my phone under strong light, and use cardboard to repeatedly cover and uncover the front lens quickly. Within 30 seconds, it would turn purple, black, flicker, and then the camera app would just close.

For those having trouble convincing a genius, pick up the phone and call Apple. Or ask for a manager at the store. Yes, it will help if you can make it crash and flicker while you're there. If they say it's normal, do the same thing to a display unit to demonstrate that it's not normal.

This happens to mine. What happens if i get a replacement sent to me, what happens then? I have only exchanged at an apple store before

aphexacid

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2007
Chicago
My 2nd or 3rd 4S replacement did this. I was SO pissed off because everything else was perfect. But everytime i would use the Front camera, it would start flickering black, and then freeze...and eventually crash.

I used it this way for about a week, then i started getting some wicked Predator colors. Like a video card artifacting from overheating.

Then i really had to take it to apple. No choice at that point. The Genius got a kick out of it.

I made a post about it a long time ago. Its not software, its a bad FFC.
Get it replaced!

SilentLoner

macrumors 65816
Dec 29, 2007
My 2nd or 3rd 4S replacement did this. I was SO pissed off because everything else was perfect. But everytime i would use the Front camera, it would start flickering black, and then freeze...and eventually crash.

I used it this way for about a week, then i started getting some wicked Predator colors. Like a video card artifacting from overheating.

Then i really had to take it to apple. No choice at that point. The Genius got a kick out of it.

I made a post about it a long time ago. Its not software, its a bad FFC.
Get it replaced!

yeah I am going at 5.30 to my local apple store, I am fed up of going to the genius bar as I love my iphone and have tons of stuff on it so having to redownload it will take all night lol

whats FFC
?

The Samurai

macrumors 68020
Dec 29, 2007
Glasgow
Still have the same issues as per when I got it a few months back. Will drop into my local Apple store to see a genius bar member... any excuse to go into an Apple store :D

makefunnyfaces

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2010
West Virginia
I have this issue. I ignored it at first, but with the use of Facetime regularly as of late I can't do that anymore. I guess a trip to the Apple store is needed!

terraphantm

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2009
Pennsylvania
if your front camera is flickering, you should get it replaced. my 4S flickered for a few hours until eventually it flickered an image like an old school tv with no signal in either all purple, all green, or all black. the apple store people told me it was the first they'd seen of it but i know it's not because people complained the same with the iphone 4. anyway, they replaced it and the replacement phone is working good so far.

My iPhone 4S did this the other day. I rebooted the phone and it's been normal so far.. But I feel like there's a weird hardware issue lurking in there somewhere.

katiemaespencer

macrumors newbie
May 29, 2012
For those of you that Apple is sending a replacement to, I got my iPhone 4s 2 days ago and the front camera is blacking out with green lines across it...I called them and they won't send me a replacement...what did you say to them to get them to send you a replacement?

mustu

macrumors 6502
Nov 5, 2011
Ok well I have this problem as well but its not very common during FaceTime!

What I have gathered is that if I start the camera app and then switch to the front camera it does not happen.

It happens only during FaceTime!!! Looks like a software glitch or something.

Nicolesaed

macrumors newbie
Dec 16, 2012
I wish i could post one of my photos that shows the black thingy on it. How can this thing go away?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.