iPhone 4s GPS Car kit

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by Mobster1983, Dec 22, 2011.

1. Mobster1983 macrumors 6502a

I have been researching car kits for my iPhone 4s since I need to be able to charge it and hear the directions when I am driving. I have the TomTom navigation App.

The only two car kits that look decent are the Magellan and the TomTom kits.

The Magellan looks decent, but most reviews I saw had issues with bluetooth or charging. Also, when using an auxiliary cable, the sound comes from the kit speakers AND your car speakers. Since I would listen to music most of the time, this is almost a deal breaker for me.

The TomTom kit looks like it would be the better option. However, the only kits I can find are for the iPhone 3G/3GS. TomTom advertises iPhone 4 compatibility on their website, but looks like it needs an adapter. I cannot find a single website that sells the car kit and adapter. The few that are, have no stock left.
    TomTom's actual website does not even sell this. http://www.tomtom.com/en_gb/products/mobile-navigation/tomtom-car-kit-for-iPhone/.

Does anyone know where I can find this kit that works with the iPhone 4s? If not this, does anyone have any recommendations for a GPS car kit? Looking for additional GPS receiver, speaker, and ability to charge. Compatibility with a case is not important. Searched forums and couldn't find anything.

2. EricJD macrumors regular

You probably don't even need a GPS kit for your iPhone 4S. It already has a GPS receiver built in (which works pretty darn well), so a simple dashboard or windshield mount would be fine.

3. cbronfman, Dec 23, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2011

cbronfman macrumors 6502

I have the Magellan Dashboard Mount

I bought the Magellan for my 3GS which didn't have a very strong GPS signal. It works fine with my iPhone 4S and the speaker on the kit does increase the volume from the iPhone 4S. Trick to charging is to get it firmly on the connector. I bought the Bose BT headset specifically because the reviews said it worked well with SIRI and with turn-by-turn GPS on the iPhone 4S. To be honest, I haven't tried it yet. I really should; perhaps today. As EricJD suggested, you may get along fine without the car kit.

4. takeshi74 macrumors 601

The GPS receiver on iPhones is weaker than on other devices in my experience but I don't use GPS car kits in either of my vehicles and use ProClip docks.