iPhone 4s has no bars but internet still works

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Moneyz52, Aug 12, 2013.

1. Moneyz52 macrumors newbie

Hi everyone,

I have an iPhone 4s 32GB that was passed down from a friend of mine who could not get it to work. After inspecting the phone, I noticed that when an O2 sim card is placed in the phone, the carrier logo/name 'O2-UK' appears along with full bars and the '3G' logo. However this only lasts about 2 minutes before the signal bars turn into 5 dashes. The part that confused me most is that the 3G symbol stays there and I am able to browse the internet with no problems, I'm just not able to make any calls or text.

I've tried restoring the phone, resetting network settings, changing sim card etc, all the things out the book basically.

I've repaired many iPhones in the past, both hardware and software and I have never come across this problem before. Has anyone had this problem before and managed to fix it?

Thank you.

*P.S the phone is locked to O2*

2. stormchaser macrumors 6502

stormchaser

Going to 5 dashes after a short time. I would say its losing its signal. Could it be a antenna problem ?

3. Mrbobb macrumors 601

A perfect device for using as an iPod only and/or remote.

4. Moneyz52 thread starter macrumors newbie

Firstly, sorry for the extremely delayed reply..

Secondly, I've opened the phone and taken a look at the antenna cable and it is intact and everything looks normal, so I'm really stuck here.

Thanks for your responses.

5. nellisere macrumors member

Sounds like the phones been blacklisted to me. Brother had the same problem. You can't call or texts but internet still works. Try a CheckMEND report to double check this, although I'm 90% sure I'm right.

6. SenseiPhone macrumors regular

So once the phone blacklisted, it'd still be able to browse on 3G, only unable to make a call and texting?

7. C DM macrumors Westmere

WiFi would work, but not a cell connection (with a carrier that knows that the phone has been blacklisted).