Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

uber202

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 27, 2012
So my poor Mid 2006 Mac Mini with Snow Leopard won't play back smoothly iPhone 4s video :(. I had previously already upgraded the memory to 2gb. Would I be able to get away with a Core 2 Duo 2.0 ghz upgrade? I'd rather not drop $100 on a 2.33ghz C2D if I could get by with a 2.0ghz C2D (around $35). Anyone have any experience with this or a similar macbook configuration? By not smoothly, I mean, it stutters and even pauses for a second or two and then skips ahead.

uber202

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 27, 2012
Thank you Intell for your quick response. If you don't mind me asking, is that first hand knowledge? These anemic GMA 950 video chipsets are worthless. I'd like to hear that someone with a newer mac mini (still with GMA 950) or macbook is doing fine. I was pretty shocked the Core duo 1.6ghz couldn't handle it. Is it the C2D architecture?

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
I had a MacMini 1,1 with a 1.5Ghz CoreSolo. It couldn't play back iPhone 4S 1080p video at all. I then upgraded its CPU to a 2.0Ghz Core2Duo. I couldn't be happier with its new found performance. It can playback iPhone 4S videos now and run 64-bit applications. And with a simple modification, it can even run Lion and use 3Gb of ram.

uber202

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 27, 2012
I had a MacMini 1,1 with a 1.5Ghz CoreSolo. It couldn't play back iPhone 4S 1080p video at all. I then upgraded its CPU to a 2.0Ghz Core2Duo. I couldn't be happier with its new found performance. It can playback iPhone 4S videos now and run 64-bit applications. And with a simple modification, it can even run Lion and use 3Gb of ram.

Perfect information Intell, thank you SO much. I feel a lot better about getting that processor now. As far as running Lion, are you referring to this? And as I've googled around, looks like all I need is to swap one of my 1gb sticks for a 2 gb 667. Do you know if there are any gotchas I should be aware of?

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
To run Lion on that Mac Mini, you'll need to first upgrade the CPU to a Core2Duo CPU. Then you'll have to remove the SupportedPlatform.plist to get it to boot. To get it to work with 3.3Gb of ram, you'll have to flash the Mac Mini 2,1 firmware onto it. This thread details how to flash the 2,1 firmware onto the 1,1 Mac Mini: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1197875/

uber202

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 27, 2012
To run Lion on that Mac Mini, you'll need to first upgrade the CPU to a Core2Duo CPU. Then you'll have to remove the SupportedPlatform.plist to get it to boot. To get it to work with 3.3Gb of ram, you'll have to flash the Mac Mini 2,1 firmware onto it. This thread details how to flash the 2,1 firmware onto the 1,1 Mac Mini: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1197875/

Wow that was fast! Thank you so much for your time and expertise! Folks like you make MacRumors a great place to hang around :cool:

blevins321

macrumors 68030
Dec 24, 2010
Detroit, MI
I'll vouch that your target specs should work fine. I can't speak to 4S video specifically, but my former 2.0C2D HTPC Mini played back 1080p Handbrake encodes fine with hardly ever any stuttering.

uber202

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 27, 2012
I'll vouch that your target specs should work fine. I can't speak to 4S video specifically, but my former 2.0C2D HTPC Mini played back 1080p Handbrake encodes fine with hardly ever any stuttering.

Thanks Blevins! Good to know about 1080p hanbraked dvds too :)

Edge

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2005
I am looking to upgrade my 1.66 Core Duo, too. It is in use as a HTPC and I am considering a CrystalHD video decoder card to offload playback from the CPU (particularly with 1080p HD.

Combined with a C2D CPU, might be best bang for buck. (A cheap SSD boot drive has already boosted responsiveness.)

uber202

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 27, 2012
I am looking to upgrade my 1.66 Core Duo, too. It is in use as a HTPC and I am considering a CrystalHD video decoder card to offload playback from the CPU (particularly with 1080p HD.

I've seen that card, but as best as I can tell, that's only for plex or xbmc right? This card doesn't have support in OSX as I understand it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.