Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nicezain1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 20, 2012
My iPhone 4S is heating up for light use like texting and browsing. It'll heat up in 5 min. The right side of the phone near sim slot heats up. My question is that is it normal? Has it ever happened to anyone? I'm kinda worried about it. It doesn't warm that much to burn my hand. It just heats up that I can feel it. I would have an iPhone 4 and it wouldn't heat up like my 4S. Is it something because it has a dual core processor? I'm not using 3G. I'm just using wifi and use it mostly for texting and browsing. What should I do?
Thank You

szw-mapple fan

macrumors 68040
Jul 28, 2012
My iPhone 4S is heating up for light use like texting and browsing. It'll heat up in 5 min. The right side of the phone near sim slot heats up. My question is that is it normal? Has it ever happened to anyone? I'm kinda worried about it. It doesn't warm that much to burn my hand. It just heats up that I can feel it. I would have an iPhone 4 and it wouldn't heat up like my 4S. Is it something because it has a dual core processor? I'm not using 3G. I'm just using wifi and use it mostly for texting and browsing. What should I do?
Thank You

ask an apple genius at a apple store

jsf721

macrumors 6502
Dec 27, 2011
Li, NY
Thank You

when this happens to mine ocasionally I hold the lock button and reboot the phone- it fixes the problem.

ericrwalker

macrumors 68030
Oct 8, 2008
Albany, NY
when this happens to mine ocasionally I hold the lock button and reboot the phone- it fixes the problem.

Same here, if you don't the battery will drain fast too.

I think some process didn't shutdown properly, and rebooting always fixes the issue.

TJ61

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2011
Check your cell signal strength when this is happening. If you're on the borderline of getting reception, your phone may be doing a lot of power-consuming signal searching.

Regards,
Tom

Ddyracer

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2009
Thank You

I would say it's normal. You got it right with the processor.

pblakk

macrumors member
Apr 8, 2012
Thank You

Actually my 4s (i'm on Verizon fwiw) does this every time that an iMessage is attempting to be sent in an area with low 3G coverage or low signal in general. What happens is iMessage just sits there trying and trying to send ONE simple text and it just won't go through, but the text only option only kicks in after it's already heated up! So it has some overly long time-out margin where the OS thinks it has JUST enough signal to send the little sucker through... sometimes it will go through, and other times it will not, and later finally makes it through the network as text only, as opposed to 3G data (iMessage). This has happened multiple times in the same exact area where I usually have spotty 3G coverage, although I can still easy make and receive calls.... It happened a couple times sending photos (don't even try it) before I found out what in the heck was going on, and I had no choice but to turn the phone off since it was ridiculously hot at that point.

As far as using data on wifi, it will get a little warm, but only after a fair amount of use, maybe nonstop 15-20 minutes of browsing and lots of page loading here and there. But it won't really warm up streaming youtube... not sure why this is though. Loading lots of webpages in an extended period of time is more work, especially on 3G, as opposed to wifi of course. But 5 minutes only is not normal.. (unless it's a signal issue as stated above) I've had to be on my phone browsing around for much longer than that to notice any decent buildup of heat/warmth near the charging connector.

Have you tried closing all apps and then rebooting?

----------

Check your cell signal strength when this is happening. If you're on the borderline of getting reception, your phone may be doing a lot of power-consuming signal searching.

Regards,
Tom

Agreed! see my post below.....

quietstormSD

macrumors 65816
Mar 2, 2010
San Diego, CA
I just tested this on my iPhone 4s on AT&T with 5 bars (with case off) and it does feel a little warmer by the sim on the back side of the phone. I don't know if its just in my head though cuz I was looking for warmth in that area. I never noticed this before but I always have a case on my phone

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
So your iphone doesnt heat up ??

My phone gets warm, but not after a mere 5 minutes of texting. I have never felt it get warm from just texting (I send/receive about 3000 texts a month, so not astronomical, but also not nothing). Generally speaking I have to be playing a 3D game to feel any sort of warmth radiating from the phone.

Nicezain1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 20, 2012
I just tested this on my iPhone 4s on AT&T with 5 bars (with case off) and it does feel a little warmer by the sim on the back side of the phone. I don't know if its just in my head though cuz I was looking for warmth in that area. I never noticed this before but I always have a case on my phone

Oh meaning it happens to you too? I dont have any case thats why i feel it. I thinkci should restore my iPhone and see what happens. Can you tell me after how long it started getting warm ?

quietstormSD

macrumors 65816
Mar 2, 2010
San Diego, CA
Oh meaning it happens to you too? I dont have any case thats why i feel it. I thinkci should restore my iPhone and see what happens. Can you tell me after how long it started getting warm ?

I was actually using it pretty heavily surfing the web at the time. It felt warmer in that area, but not hot.

Mars478

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2008
NYC, NY
The motherboard is on the right of the phone when the screen is facing you. The phone naturally produces heat as energy and electricity pulses through the circuits. It does indeed have more heat output than the iPhone 4 at least in my own personal experience.

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
It's impossible for every single phone that Foxconn builds to function properly.

The massive number produced means that once in a while there's bound to be a defective component. That's why there's a warranty.

I push my phones to the limit, the iPhone 4 & 4S models run cool in all conditions.

Just take yours back to a store, or if that's impractical call Apple & let them take care of it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.